During the computer use, you may encounter some errors of hard disk or partitions. Some of the errors are caused by physical problem and some caused by “software error”. If you need more advice about hard disk repair, please refer another article Hard Disk Repair. Today, I want to talk about partition repair and how to fix partition problem.
Common partition errors
- Invalid media type reading drive. Abort, Retry, Fail?
- File system is displayed as RAW.
- Windows may ask if you want to format the drive.
- File names contain weird characters.
- Sector Not Found messages.
Did you see or hear these error messages before? If you did, how you fixed these partition errors?
What caused partition error?
- Error connections, especially for external hard drives, if the connection is correct, it may cause the problem and you cannot access the partition again.
- Insufficient power supply, also common for external drives.
- Virus, the most probable reason for both internal and external hard drives.
- Partitioning error, some users run software to resize partitions but this partitioning software failed due to some reasons.
- Other application errors, similar to partitioning software, these applications have the same feature that they will write something to the hard drive sectors.
How to repair partition?
To fix the partition problem, there are two ways.
1. Recover files from this partition, after that reformat this partition to use.
This is the safest way, as data recovery software just read information from your disk partition and it will not write anything, even if one recovery tool fails to recovery files, you may try the others. Here I recommend Recovery My files.
2. Repair partition directly.
By partition repair software, you can fix the partition problem, after that you’ll be able to access the partition again. The partition repair operation also is quick enough.
Note: Be caution to use this method, as it may cause problem worse. If you have backed up the disk partition sector by sector, you may repair partition directly.
If you really want to repair partition directly, please refer another article How to Fix Boot Sector Error. As this software doesn’t support Windows Vista and Windows 7, so if you use these operating systems, try Active Partition Recovery.