Windows 10 Free up disk space
This article introduces how to free up disk space on Windows 10 (32 & 64 bit) with Disk Cleanup and additional 10 methods.
Many people feedback that system C drive becomes full after upgrading to Windows 10 or install some Updates, because there are many large files downloaded and write into C drive. In fact, system partition is filling up by many types of files continuously, so it runs out of space sooner or later if you don’t take care. It’s more likely to encounter this issue if you use SSD, because it is much smaller than traditional mechanical hard disk.
When system C schijf is vol, freeing up disk space is an efficient but not the only way. Here I’ll show you the complete solution to fix this issue.
Windows 10 Schijfopruiming in Windows 10
There are many third party system optimization software that can help delete the junk files, but Windows 10 built-in Disk Cleanup is enough in most cases. From Windows XP to the latest Windows 10, I always use this utility to free up disk space. It is easy to use, runs fast, and is able to clean up most common types of unnecessary files. The most important aspect, it is safe.
Starting with version 1803, Windows 10 Schijfopruiming in Windows 10 is incorporated into Windows 10’s Settings app, which has more options. In addition, you can set to free up disk space automatically. However, the traditional standalone Disk Cleanup utility is still available.
Steps to free up space with Windows 10 Disk Cleanup:
: Druk op en op het toetsenbord, type cleanmgren klik dan op GOED.
: Select the drive that you want to cleanup.
: Click the check-box in front of the files that you want to delete and click GOED. If you are not sure what the files include, click it and you’ll see the description.
: Confirm this operation by clicking Bestanden verwijderen.
Disk cleanup will begin.
: Repeat the steps above to clean up system files.
If you never or have not free up disk space on Windows 10 for a long time, Disk Cleanup utility may help you regain several GBs of disk space. To get more free space in C drive, you may try the additional steps below.
Additional options to free disk space in Windows 10
1. Delete or reduce hibernate
Hibernation is a feature that saves the content in memory to the hard drive allowing you to shut down your device completely without losing your current session. Hibernation is a useful feature but it requires several gigabytes of space to save the content in RAM to the hiberfil.sys file on the hard drive.
You can reclaim disk space by deleting the hibernation files or reduce the size of hiberfil.sys, steps:
Search cmd on task bar on bottom left corner of the screen, right click Commando Prompt and choose Uitvoeren als beheerder.To reduce hiberfil.sys file:
Type powercfg -h -size 50
The size will be changed from default 75% to the minimum 50%To delete hibernate:
Type powercfg.exe -h off
Hibernate mode will be disable and any associated saved data from previous hibernations will be deleted automatically.If you want to enable it:
Type powercfg.exe -h on
2. Move installed apps and games
On Windows 10, it’s possible to move certain Microsoft Store apps and games to a different storage device without having to reinstall, (Opmerking: you must have the external storage connected at all times.) steps:
- Sluit de verwijderbare schijf aan.
- Druk op en on keyboard, then click Settings > Apps > Apps & features
- Select an app or game.
- Klik op de Verhuizen bottom.
- Gebruik het drop-down menu om de nieuwe locatie te selecteren.
- Klik op de Verhuizen knop.
- Repeat the steps to move more items to the external drive.
3. Move existing files
- Sluit de verwijderbare schijf aan.
- Open Windows Bestandsverkenner.
- Navigate to the folder with the files/folders you want to move.
- Select these files/folders.
- Klik Thuis menu on the top > Move to > Choose location.
- Klik op de Verhuizen knop.
4. Save files to new location
Windows 10 is veel slimmer dan alle voorgaande versies. U kunt de standaard locaties voor apps, documenten, muziek, foto's en video's wijzigen naar een andere plaats, stappen:
- Open Instellingen.
- Klik Systeem> Opslag.
- Klik onder "Meer opslaginstellingen" op "Meer opslaginstellingen". Verander waar nieuwe inhoud wordt opgeslagen.
- Klik op het drop-down menu om een nieuwe locatie te selecteren.
5. Uninstall apps
You may uninstall some apps and programs that you no longer use or that came preinstalled on your computer from the manufacturer. Steps:
- Open Instellingen
- Klik Systeem > Apps & functies
- Click the items that you want to remove and click Verwijderen.
6. Turn on Storage Sense
Storage Sense is a relatively new feature in Windows 10 that users may enable to free up disk space automatically when the drive is running low on space. It can delete 3 types of files right now:
- Delete temporary files that are not used anymore.
- Delete files in the Recycle Bin
- Delete files in the Downloads folder.
How to enable Storage Sense on Windows 10:
- Open Instellingen
- Go to Systeem > Opslag
- Switch Off to On under Storage Sense on the right side.
7. Decrease or change location for Recycle Bin
All files that deleted by pressing DEL without SHIFT key will go to Recycle Bin, where you can revert these files to original location manually if you deleted them by mistake. In Windows 10, you can decrease the disk space or reset the location for Recycle Bin. Steps:
- Right click Recycle Bin and click “Properties”.
- Select a drive for Recycle Bin.
- Select Customer size and enter an amount.
8. Change size and location for Pagefile
Page file uses part of disk space as virtual RAM and it is located in C drive by default. You can change it to other partition when C drive is running low. Steps:
- Druk op en on keyboard to start Rennen
- Type command “sysdm.cpl ,3” and press Enter.
- Klik Instellingen
- Klik Change
- Select drive, enter amount of Initial size and Maximum size in Customer sizeen klik dan op Set en GOED. (It requires reboot to take affect.)
9. Decrease size for system protection
System Restore is Windows built-in backup feature that uses disk space to store system snapshots. These snapshots are created automatically by Windows when some operations are made to disk drive. System Restore allows you roll back the system to a recent state. This feature reserves quite a big disk space for its functionality, and one option that you can free up disk space is to reduce the reserved space. Steps:
- Druk op Ramen en R key to launch Run, type “sysdm.cpl ,4” and press Enter.
- Select C drive and then click Configureer
- Sliding towards the left to decrease the Maximum Gebruik of disk space.
10. Compress files
Compact OS is a tool introduced with Windows 10 that allows you to compress the installation files and built-in desktop applications reducing the footprint and freeing up space.
Opmerking: this operation won’t affect computer performance, but it will modify system files. This operation is only suggested when disk space is extremely low and you have no other choice.
- Search for Commando Prompt and run as administrator.
- Type the command: Compact.exe /CompactOS:always
You can revert the changes using the command: Compact.exe /CompactOS:never
Expand C drive larger
Disk Cleanup and the additional methods help you free up disk space on Windows 10 more or less, but you cannot fix the weinig schijfruimte completely, especially when C drive is created small. Several GBs of free space will be eaten up quickly by new generated junk files. You’d better expand C drive as large as possible.
Downloaden NIUBI Partition Editor Free edition and follow the steps in the video.
As you see, you can extend C drive by taking free space from other drives in the same disk and you just need to drag and drop on the disk map. Partitie-editor gratis supports Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP (32 and 64 bit). It is 100% clean without any bundles.
Running computer in right way
To completely fix C drive out of space issue, you may consider following options:
- If the entire disk is small, replace it with a larger one.
- Default installation path of all programs are in C drive, change the path to other separate drive (such as D) when installing programs.
- If you already installed the programs to C drive and do not want to reinstall, change the output path of the programs to other large partitions. The programs for videos, games and projects will generate many large files.
- Run Windows 10 Disk Cleanup as monthly maintenance utility.
Free up disk space with Windows 10 Disk Cleanup to get some precious free space, so this computer can keep running without issue. Extend C drive as large as possible, so there will be plenty of free space. Change Windows and program settings as well as output path to other drive, run Windows 10 Disk Cleanup monthly to clear up new generated junk files.