Extend Volume on Windows Server 2012 R2
This article introduces how to extend volume on Windows Server 2012 (R2) with native Disk Management tool, if you cannot extend disk partition with it, run server partition editor software.
Sobre a funcionalidade estender volume
O mesmo com a versão anterior, o Windows Server 2012 fornece built-in Estender volume functionality in Disk Management tool, which can be used to expand both system partition and data volumes without losing data. In fact, Extend Volume is the GUI version of “Extend” command in DiskPart. Both native tools have serious restrictions that cause you unable to extend volume on Server 2012.
Extend Volume restrictions:
- Só NTFS partition is supported, FAT32 and other types of partitions cannot be extended.
- It can only extend the volume with Adjacentes Espaço não alocado no Certo Lado.
- Disk space in Lógico partição não pode ser estendida para Primária partition, and vice versa.
In fact, another Shrink Volume functionality also has restriction: it can only shrink a volume towards left and produce Unallocated space on the Certo side. Thus, if you want to extend a volume by shrinking other one in Server 2012 Disk Management, it is Impossível.
As you see, after shrinking drive D the 20GB Unallocated space is nonadjacent to C and on the left side of E, so Estender volume está acinzentado para a unidade C e e.
How to run Extend Volume?
From the screenshot above, the 20GB Unallocated space can only be merged into drive D. If you want to estender a unidade C with Disk Management, the only option is by deleting drive D to get right adjacent Unallocated space.
- Do not delete drive D if you installed programs or any Windows services are running from it, otherwise, the programs and services will stop working.
- Remember to back up or transfer files before deleting a volume.
- If D is a Logical partition, you still cannot extend C drive after deleting it.
However, if any drive fits for the requirements, Extend Volume can extend it easily.
Steps to extend volume with Windows Server 2012 Disk Management:
- Imprensa Windows E R no teclado, digite Diskmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Disk Management.
- Right click the drive with right adjacent Unallocated space and select Estender volume.
- Basta clicar em Próximo Até Terminar on the “Extend Volume Wizard” window.
Native Disk Management tool of Server 2012 Não extend volume if you do not delete the right contiguous partition.
Extend volume with partition editor
With server software de partição de disco, it is much easier to shrink and extend volume, the most important aspect: no such restrictions.
There is potential system damage and data loss risk when redimensionamento de partições de disco with 3rd party software, so remember to back up and use safe tool.
Better than other partitioning software, NIUBI Partition Editor provides unique 1 segunda reversão technology to ensure system and data intact. If any software or hardware issue occur, it automatically reverts the server to original status in a flash like nothing happened. Furthermore, it provides other Modo virtual, Cancelar-at-Will E Redimensionamento a quente technologies, as well as special Arquivo-Moving algorithm to help resize partition much more safely and faster.
When resizing partitions on Windows Server 2012 (R2), NIUBI can:
- Reduza um volume e produza espaço não alocado em ambos os lados.
- Combine contiguous Unallocated space on either side to extend volume.
- Move partition and combine any non-adjacent Unallocated space.
- Overcome the restriction of FAT32 partition and Logical/Primary partitions.
Detailed steps to extend volume on Windows Server 2012 with NIUBI:
Clique com o botão direito da unidade D e selecione "Resize/Move Volume", arraste o botão borda esquerda rightwards:
Unallocated space is generated on the Deixou lado de D.
Clique com o botão direito da unidade C e seleccione novamente "Resize/Move Volume" ", arraste o botão direito borda direita:
Unallocated space is merged into C: drive.
Clique com o botão direito da unidade D e selecione "Resize/Move Volume", arraste o botão direito borda esquerda:
Unallocated space is generated on the Certo lado de D.
Clique com o botão direito da unidade E e seleccione novamente "Resize/Move Volume" ", arraste o botão esquerdas da borda esquerda:
Unallocated space is merged into E: drive.
If you want to extend volume C by shrinking the non adjacent E, you need an additional step to move partition.
Watch the video how to shrink, move and extend volume on Server 2012 R2:
Because of the inherent limitations, the built-in Disk Management can only help you extend partition in restricted condition. To extend volume on Windows Server 2012 (R2), 3rd party software is better choice. However, you’d better back up and use reliable tool. As the safest disk partition software, NIUBI Partition Editor helps you shrink, extend and move partitions easily and safely.
If you use any types of hardware RAID arrays, do not break the array or do any other operations in the RAID controller, simply follow the steps above.