How to resize/extend primary partition on Windows 10
When a hard drive is running low on disk space, you can extend it with free space in other drives of the same disk. However, whether it is possible or safe depends on the tool your are using. To resize and extend primary partition on Windows 10, the native Disk Management is an option, but not all partition drives can be resized due to some inherent limitations.
In this article, I’ll introduce how to resize primary partition in Windows 10 with both Disk Management and 3rd-party professional partitioning software.
What is Primary partition
- Primary Partition is the hard disk partition where both Windows OS and other data can be stored, and it is the only partition that can be set Active attribute. The system reserved and other partitions that are created by Windows must be Primary, otherwise, you cannot boot Windows.
- Logical Partition is the just part of the Estendido partition and simulated as a drive. Like primary partition, a logical partition can be used to install Windows and save any other types of files, but it cannot be set as Active.
In a GPT style hard disk, you can create many partitions with an unique drive letter (C, D, E, etc.), in addition, all partitions can only be created as Primary partition.
The strategy to organize partition and files of MBR disk is different with GPT disk. There are only 4 entries in master boot record of MBR disk, from which Operating System knows the size and position of each partition.
- You can only create 4 partitions, if they are created as Primary, then all of the 4 entries are assigned to these partitions.
- If you want to create more than 4 partitions, one of the entries must be assigned to Extended Partition.
- The same with Primary partition, Extended partition is a real disk partition but works like a container.
- All Logical partitions must be created in the Extended partition and works like a simulated drive. However, you won’t feel any difference in daily usage.
Limitation of Disk Management
As I said in the beginning, not all partitions can be extended in Windows 10 Disk Management, because there are some limitations. In a GPT disk, there 2 main limitations:
1. deve haver espaço adjacente não alocado
For example: when you shrinking drive D with Shrink Volume, Unallocated space can only be generated on the right side of D. But to estender a unidade C with Extend Volume, the Unallocated space must be on the left side of D. That is to say, you cannot extend primary partition C by shrinking the adjacent drive D, let alone other nonadjacent data drives.
As you see in my Windows 10 laptop, Estender volume está desativado para a unidade C after shrinking D.
2. Only supports NTFS partition
As we know, NTFS and FAT32 are the most common type of partitions in Windows computer, but the built-in Shrink and Extend Volume only support NTFS partition.
To show you the limitation, I formatted drive D from NTFS to FAT32. As you see, Estender volume está acinzentado for D drive even though there is 20GB Unallocated space on the right side.If you use MBR disk, there is an additional limitation:
3. Cannot extend Primary partition by deleting Logical drive
As I show you above, we Não pode estender a unidade C by shrinking D, so some people try to delete D instead. Then the disk space of D will be converted to Unallocated, so Estender volume está ativado for C drive. It works indeed in GPT disk, but in MBR disk, you cannot extend primary drive C if D is a Logical partition.
The hard disk of my Windows 10 laptop is formatted as GPT when installing, so I have to show you the limitation on my Windows 7 desktop.
As you see, the System Reserved and C drive are Primary, drive D, E and F are Logical in Extended partition. I cannot extend C drive by deleting D. Have you noticed the difference? Disk space of a Logical partition will be converted to Livre instead of Unallocated after deleting.
Nota: all programs and Windows services in drive D stop working after deleting, so it is not suggested.
Resize primary partition with software
It’s annoying right? But luckily, it is very easy to extend primary partition or any logical drive with professional partition software. Comparing with Disk Management, NIUBI Partition Editor has many advantages, for example:
- As partições NTFS e FAT32 são suportadas para reduzir e estender.
- It’s easier by simply dragging and dropping on the disk map.
- Espaço não alocado pode ser produzido em ambos os lados ao diminuir uma partição.
- If there is not plenty of free space is drive D, NIUBI can shrink any nonadjacent drive and move Unallocated space to behind C drive.
How to extend primary partition
Download e instalar NIUBI Partition Editor , clique com o botão direito da unidade D e selecione Resize/Move Volume.
Passo 1: Drag Deixou Fronteira rightwards na janela pop-up, ou digite um valor para trás "Espaço não alocado antesmanualmente.
Clique OKEY, drive D is shrank to 30GB and 20GB Unallocated space is generated on the left side of D.
Passo 2: Clique com o botão direito C unidade e selecione " Resize/Move Volume novamente. Na janela pop-up, arraste o Certo Fronteira rightward para combinar o espaço não alocado de 20GB.
A unidade C é estendida para 50 GB, clique em Apply on top left to execute. The pending operations with pode ser feito no Windows sem reiniciar.
If you still do not understand how to resize primary partition on Windows 10, watch the video:
Windows 10 Disk Management has the ability to change partition size with Shrink and Extend Volume functionalities, but because of the limitations, few partitions can be shrank and extended. To resize and extend primary partition on Windows 10, NIUBI Partition Editor is better choice. Equipped with unique 1 Second Rollback technology and file-moving algorithm, it is much safer and faster than other tools.