Change partition size on Windows Server 2016 without data loss
Disk partitions are allocated while installing Operating System or by server manufacturer. Luckily, you can change size of the allocated partition without starting over. To adjust partition size on Windows Server 2016, there are 2 options by native Disk Management and third party partitioning software. Disk Management utility is safe but has many limitations, disk partition software is more powerful but has potential data loss risk. In this article, I’ll show you how to change partition size on Windows Server 2016 with both tools.
Adjust partition size with Disk Management
In Server 2016 Disk Management, there are built-in Shrink Volume and Extend Volume functionalities to change size of allocated partition. As the name, Shrink Volume is used to decrease partition size and Extend Volume is used to increase partition size. However, not all disk partitions can be shrank and extended.
- Press and on keyboard and select Disk Management.
- Right click the drive that you want to decrease and select Shrink Volume.
- Enter the amount of space and click Shrink to execute.
- Right click the partition with adjacent Unallocated space and click Extend Volume.
- Extend Volume Wizard will be launched, click Next to continue.
- Select available disk space, click Next and then Finish to confirm.
- Both Shrink and Extend Volume support NTFS partition only.
- Shrink Volume can only produce Unallocated space on the right side.
- Sometimes you cannot or can only shrink little space, learn more.
- Extend Volume can only extend the hard drive with adjacent Unallocated space on the right side.
Because of these limitations, you need 3rd-party partition software in most situations.
Change partition size with safe software
With partition software such as NIUBI Partition Editor, there are no such limitations, in addition, it provides more options to adjust disk partition size on Server 2016. Better than other partitioning tools, NIUBI provides advanced technologies to protect system/data and ease partition resizing. For example:
- 1 Second Rollback – if any software or hardware issue occur, it automatically reverts the server to original status like nothing happened.
- Virtual mode – the operations you do will be listed as pending for preview and real disk partition won’t be changed until you click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-will – cancel the unwanted but ongoing operations without losing data.
- Advanced File-moving algorithm – change partition size 30% to 300% faster.
- Hot-Resize – shrink and extend partition without server interruption.
How to split partition
If you want to create more partitions, it is very easy to split the allocated partition to smaller ones without recreating all disk drives. Watch the video:
How to merge partitions
Disk Management has no Merge Volume functionality, but you can combine partitions on Server 206 by several clicks with NIUBI PE. Watch the video:
Shrink and extend partition
Most of the server administrators want to change partition size of both drive C: and D:, because C drive is getting full and there is plenty of free space in D. To do this, you just need to drag and drop on the disk map of NIUBI.
- If you use hardware RAID arrays such as RAID 0/1/5/10, the steps are exactly the same with resizing physical disk partitions. Do not break array or do other operations on the RAID controller.
- Unused space inside of any other partitions in the same disk can be used to increase C drive space, but NO partitioning software can get disk space from another separated hard disk.
Watch the video how to change partition size on Windows Server 2016: