Many computer users had this problem that when they open a partition, Windows prompt that this partition is corrupted and needs to be reformat, especially when you open the external hard disk. If you allow to format the partition, the files of this partition will be lost. This article introduces a method to fix the partition table problem and re-open the partition. Compare to data recovery software, this method helps you solve problem much quickly.
Please remember that do not format this partition.
Basic knowledge of Boot Sector
The first sector of partition is also known as the Boot Sector. What the MBR is for entire drive, that the Boot Sector is the first sector of an individual partition, like the MBR, the Boot Sector contains information that the system needs to locate the materials that are needed to start the operating system. A corrupt or missing Boot Sector is a serious problem. Without it the partition can not be accessed.
Possible (but not all) symptoms are:
1. Invalid media type reading drive
Abort, Retry, Fail?
2. File system is displayed as “RAW”
3. Windows may ask if you want to format the drive
4. File names contain “weird” characters
5. “Sector not found” messages
Fix boot sector problem with partition table doctor
Notice: If the Boot Sector of a FAT16/FAT32/NTFS partition was corrupt, it will be marked with “X” by Partition Table Doctor.
1. If you cannot access the FAT16/NTFS partition and the partition was marked with “X“, right click the partition and choose Fixboot. Partition Table Doctor will automatically check and repair the Boot Sector of the partition.
2. If you cannot access the FAT32 partition and the partition was marked with “X“, right click the partition and choose Fixboot. There are two choice:
“Auto” mode: Partition Table Doctor will automatically check and repair the Boot Sector of the partition. We recommend you choose this mode.
If “Auto” mode doesn”t work, you could choose “Interactive” mode. You must input the Label for the partition or file name (the file is in the Root Folder). If you do not know what file name to input, follow the file name that is suggested:
io.sys, msdos.sys, ntldr, bootlog.txt
File name can not support long name or wildcard character by DOS version of Partition Table Doctor.
3. Browse: In both of the modes, Partition Table Doctor will provide you a preview of the folders and files in the root directory on this partition before “Yes” option being chosen to make the change valid on a dialogue box. If it appears the same as the previous one that means this function can fix it.
4. Save and reboot computer and you will find everything is just what it was, backup your files!!!
Partition Table Doctor limitation:
1. It doesn’t compatible with Windows Vista/Windows 7
2. It doesn’t support USB flash drive.
Notice: This software is not free, if you need it, you may download the trial version below: