No matter you use HDD, SSD or any types of hardware RAID arrays, you must create and format partitions before saving files. After running this server for a period of time, you need to shrink, extend, reformat, convert partition, etc. To accomplish these tasks, you need a reliable disk partition manager to manage server storage devices. In this article, I'll introduce native free partition manager in Server 2019 and best partition software for Windows Server 2019/2022/2003/2008/2012/2016.
Native free partition manager in Windows Server 2019
The same with previous versions, there's native free partition manager in Windows Server 2019 - Disk Management. It is able to perform some basic operations. To a single partition, it is able to create, format, delete, set Active, change drive letter and path. It also has advanced ability to shrink and extend partition. However, it only supports NTFS partition. In addition, it cannot extend a volume by shrinking another one. In one word, it can only shrink NTFS partition to create new volume, and extend NTFS volume by deleting the adjacent partition on the right.
Press Windows + X keys together and then you'll see Disk Management in the list.
To a whole disk, Windows Server 2019 Disk Management is able to initialize brand new disk. It has ability to convert disk between MBR and GPT, but you must delete all volumes on this disk in advance. If you need a powerful disk partition manager for Windows 2019 server, you need to run third party software. There are many choices in the market, the interface are different but the functions are similar. To a disk partition software for Windows 2019 server, the reliability is most important. Here I'll introduce the safest and fastest partition software for Windows Server 2019/2022/2016/2012/2008/2003 (r2).
Download this partition software in Windows 2019 server (physical or virtual machine), you'll see the main window with 5 sections.
- All single partitions with detailed parameters.
- All physical, RAID array and virtual disks with graphical structure.
- Available operations to a selected disk or partition. (You'll see the same options by right clicking.)
- Pending Operations, all operations you do won't be done immediately, instead, they'll be listed as pending for preview.
- Cancel, redo or apply the pending operations.
Unlike other disk partition tools that list all options, NIUIBI Partition Editor only lists the available operations to keep interface clean, unavailable options are hidden automatically. Right click a partition or the front of a disk, you'll see the available options.
What does NIUBI Partition Editor do in Windows server
NIUBI Partition Editor supports Windows Server 2022, 2019, 2016, 2012, 2011, 2008 and 2003 (32 & 64 bit). Local/removable HDD or SSD, all types of hardware RAID arrays, VMware/Hyper-V virtual disk, USB flash drives and memory cards are all supported. It helps do most of common disk and partition management operations such as:
- Resize Volume - shrink and extend partitioned drive without data loss
- Move Volume - move partitions location with adjacent Unallocated space
- Merge Volume - combine 2 partitions into a larger one
- Partition Copy - clone entire partition to back up or migrate data.
- Convert to GPT Disk - convert MBR disk to GPT without data loss.
- Convert to FAT32 - convert NTFS partition to FAT32 without data loss.
- Convert to Logical - convert Primary partition to Logical without data loss.
- Convert to Primary - convert Logical partition to Primary without data loss.
- Optimzie File System to repair error and improve performance.
- Defrag to improve disk read and write efficiency
- Surface test to scan bad sectors
- Wipe disk, partition and Unallocated space to erase sensitive data
- Create Volume - create new drives with Unallocated space
- Format Volume - rebuild file system of a drive and reuse as new
- Hide Volume - hide a drive in explorer to prevent accessing
- Set Active - mark a drive as Active to boot system
- Change Drive Letter - reset letter of a drive to C: D: E: etc.
- Delete Volume - delete single or all drives with simple step.
- Change Label - add or change name of a partition
- Properties - view detailed parameters of a disk or single drive (for advanced users)
- Check Volume - check file system integrity and fix errors if exists
- Explorer Volume - view content of the selected partition
- Change disk status to online and offline
- Set Read-only attribute to hard disk
- Initialize new hard disk
The safest partitioning software for Windows Server 2019
Data safety is most important to a server, but there's potential system damage and data loss risk while resizing partitions or do other modification. Besides backing up, you'd better run safe partition software. It costs a long time to restore everything and verify data if this server is damaged by the unreliable software.
Better than other tools, NIUBI Partition Editor has advanced technologies to protect system and data:
- Virtual Mode - all operations will be listed as pending for preview, real disk partitions won't be modified until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied wrong operations, it doesn't matter, you can cancel the ongoing operations without causing damage.
- 1 Second Rollback - if any error is detected while modify disk partition, it automatically reverts server to original status in a flash. If it happens, your server could back online without damage in a short time. Therefore, there's no need to restore everything from backup.
Another major benefit of NIUBI is that it can clone disk partition online without rebooting server. Therefore, you can clone system disk regularly. Whenever the system disk is down, you just need to restart server and swap to the clone disk. It can be done within several minutes, so it's much faster and better than restoring from image backup.
The fastest partition manager for Windows Server 2019
There are large amount of files in server partition, the more files in a partition, the longer time to shrink, move or copy partition. A good algorithm is very important and helpful to save time. Thanks to the unique file-moving algorithm, NUIBI Partition Editor is 30% to 300% faster than other tools.
Because of its powerful data protection and fast resizing ability, easy to use with neat interface, as well as plenty of disk/partition management features, NIUBI Partition Editor is recommended as the best partition manager software for Windows Server 2019/2022 and Server 2016/2012/2011/2008/2003.