How to extend c drive in Windows 10 with diskpart cmd
This article introduces how to extend C drive with CMD in Windows 10. The introduction, precondition, steps to extend and limitations of Diskpart command.
What is diskpart command
Diskpart is a command-line utility used to manipulate disk partitions in all versions of Windows and Windows Server beginning with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. The utility adds capability to the Windows Disk Management snap-in. Users can type Diskpart commands directly to configure storage, or script Diskpart to perform multiple commands via a text file script, such as create, delete, format partition, convert basic disk to dynamic.
How to run Diskpart in Windows 10
There are two ways to launch diskpart: run from cmd or locate diskpart.exe in System32 folder.
Run from cmd
- Press Windows and R key on keyboard, type cmd and press Enter.
- Type diskpart in command prompt window and press Enter.
- Open C:\Windows\System32
- Double click diskpart.exe
Precondition to extend C drive with Diskpart in Windows 10
Only when there is adjacent Unallocated space on the right side, you can extend C drive, otherwise, you cannot extend volume in Windows 10 with DiskPart. If you extend C drive without adjacent Unallocated space, you’ll receive error message ‘There is not enough usable free space on specified disk(s) to extend the volume.‘ If there is no such Unallocated space, the only option is deleting the adjacent volume D to release free space.
Note: it is not a good idea to do such operation, because all Windows Services and applications running from D stop working after deleting. The best way is extending C drive with partition software.
How to extend C drive with unallocated space
Step 1: Type list volume and you’ll see all partitions but NO Unallocated space.
Step 2: Type select volume 1 to give focus to the system C: drive.
Step 3: Type extend to proceed extending.
Limitation of diskpart to extend C drive in Windows 10
- Only when there is adjacent Unallocated space on the right side, you can extend C drive with cmd.
- Unallocated space is not displayed, so you don’t know whether there is adjacent Unallocated space.
- Volumes are shown as list without GUI, it is difficult to see the disk partition layout.
- Operations cannot be undone, incorrect operation may leads to data loss.