This article introduces how to increase D: drive space in Windows Server 2012 R2 without losing data. 3 ways to increase size of partition D with detailed steps.
1. Increase volume D in Server 2012 Disk Management
In many servers, system C: drive is full but there is plenty of free space in other partitions such as D. But in few servers, D: drive is getting full. Is it possible to increase partition size without reinstalling everything or restoring from backup? Yes, of course.
Server 2012 native Disk Management is one of the options, however, it only works under very restricted conditions:
- D drive must be formatted as NTFS.
- There must be adjacent Unallocated space on the right side of D.
To get adjacent Unallocated space, you have to delete the right contiguous partition (E:). If there is no other partition on the right side. Disk Management is useless. Some people may ask, there is Shrink Volume function in Disk Management, why get Unallocated space by deleting other volume?
As you see in my server, Extend Volume is disabled for D: drive after shrinking both partition C: and E, this is because:
- Shrink Volume can only shrink a partition towards left and make Unallocated space on the right side.
- Extend Volume can only combine Unallocated space to left contiguous partition.
Thus, the only way to enable Extend Volume for drive D in Server 2012 Disk Management is by deleting the right adjacent partition E.
If you can delete drive E, remember to transfer files first. After that, right click D: drive and select Extend Volume. Simply click Next in the pop-up Extend Volume Wizard window.
2. Increase D: drive space from C: or E:
Obviously, Disk Management is not the best choice. BTW, another Windows native tool - Diskpart command has same restrictions.
Third party software is much easier and powerful. Unallocated space can be produced on either side and combined to any other partitions in the same disk, no matter they are contiguous or not, on the left or right side.
However, remember to back up and select reliable software. While decrease and increase partition size, disk partition parameters (such as start and end position) should be modified, files in associated partition should be moved, boot related files must be updated. So, the unreliable software could cause boot failure, partition and files damage.
Better than other software, NIUBI Partition Editor is much safer and faster, because of its innovative technologies:
- 1 Second Rollback - automatically reverts server to original status in a flash if encounter any error. If it happens, server could back online without modifications.
- Virtual Mode - all operations will be listed as pending for preview, real disk partitions won't be changed until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied incorrect operations, it doesn't matter, you can also cancel the ongoing operations without causing damage.
- Advanced file-moving algorithm - resize and move partition 30% to 300% faster, saving much time especially when there are large amount of files.
Download NIUBI Partition Editor and you'll see all disk partitions with structure and other information in the main window.
Available operations to highlighted disk or partition are listed on the left or by right clicking. You just need to drag and drop on the disk map to resize disk partitions.
Follow the steps how to increase D: drive space in Windows Server 2012 from C or E:
As long as there is free unused space in other partitions on the same disk, you can transfer to partition D. Operating System, program, Windows services and associated settings, as well as anything else keep the same with before.
If you use any types of hardware RAID arrays, VMware or Hyper-V, the steps to resize virtual disk partitions are the same with single physical disk partition.
3. Increase size of partition D with other disk
In some servers, there is not enough free space in other partitions. In that case, no partitioning software can add space from another separated disk. The separated disk means Disk 0, 1, etc. that shown by NIUBI or Disk Management, no matter the disk is physical, Guest virtual disk or RAID array.
Follow the steps to increase size of D: drive in Windows Server 2012 with other disk:
No matter how your disk partitions are configured, NIUBI Partition Editor has a way to help you increase D drive space. Select the corresponding method according to your own disk partition structure. If you have any questions, contact 24/7 online support.