In many OEM Windows 11 laptop/desktop/tablet, there's only C drive besides some system required small partitions. If you forget to create more partitions when installing Windows 11 to brand new computer, you'll get same partitions except the OEM recovery partition. If you keep running this computer and save everything to C drive. There will be 2 major problems: your computer will run slower and slower. It will be difficult to find the files you need. The same with all previous versions, you'd better create more partitions in Windows 11 computer. For example, C drive for operating system, D drive for programs and at least a partition for personal files. In this article, I'll introduce how to make more partitions in Windows 11 computer without reinstalling operating system and programs.
Create new partitions with Windows 11 Disk Management
Because the size of a hard disk is fixed, if you want to create new volumes in Windows 11, you must shrink an existing partition to get Unallocated space. From Windows 7, the native Disk Management tool has the ability to shrink partition without losing data. It is easy to operate, but on the other hand, it has some limitations.
How to make more partitions in Windows 11 with Disk Management:
- Right click Windows logo on taskbar and then click Disk Management.
- Right click C: drive and select "Shrink Volume" option.
- Enter an amount of space and then click Shrink (1024MB=1GB). Unallocated space will be made on the right of C drive.
- Right click this Unallocated space and select "New Simple Volume" option.
- Follow up the New Simple Volume Wizard, if you want to create several partitions, enter an amount by yourself to specify volume size.
Limitations to create more partitions with Windows 11 Disk Management:
- It cannot shrink C drive beyond the point where unmovable files are located. That means, it can only shrink little space even if there's plenty of free space in C drive.
- It can only shrink a partition and create new volume on the right.
- There's little option when you create new partition with Disk Management.
- It can only shrink NTFS partition. If you want to shrink FAT32 partition to create new, Disk Management is useless.
To make more partitions in Windows 11 laptop/desktop/tablet, NIUBI Partition Editor is better choice. It has free edition for Windows 11/10/8/7/Vista/XP home computer users.
Better way to create more volumes with free partition software
Comparing with Disk Management, NIUBI Partition Editor has more advantages when creating more partitions in Windows 11 computer:
- It is able to shrink a partition to minimum size if you want, because it can move these "unmovable" files.
- It is able to shrink a partition and create new volume on either left or right side.
- You just need to click, drag and drop on the disk map to shrink and create volumes.
- It can shrink and create both NTFS and FAT32 partition.
- Much more options when creating new volume.
How to create more volumes in Windows 11 with NIUBI Partition Editor:
- Download the free edition, right click any NTFS or FAT32 partition and select "Resize/Move Volume" option.
- Drag either border towards the other one in the pop-up window. If you drag left border towards the other one, Unallocated space is made on the left.
- Right click this Unallocated space and select "Create Volume" option. There are many options in the pop-up window. You can add a volume label, select drive letter, file system and cluster size. You can also specify the partition size and location.
- Click Apply on top left to take effect.
Tips: if you want to create several partitions with Unallocated space, you can drag either border or enter an amount of space on the bottom.
Watch the video how to make more partitions in Windows 11 computer:
Besides creating new partitions in Windows 11/10/8/7/Vista/XP computer, NIUBI Partition Editor helps you do many other disk partition management operations such as shrink, extend, merge, move, convert, defrag, hide, wipe, scan bad sectors.