This article introduces why Server 2019 system partition runs low on disk space and how to fix C drive low disk space on Windows Server 2019 with ease.
Why system drive runs low on disk space
Low disk space is the most common issue in all Windows computers. In Windows Server 2019, system C drive is also running low on disk space in a certain time, even if you create more than 50GB while installing Windows. Because there are many types of junk files generated or saved to C drive continuously, for example, Temporary Setup Files, Downloaded Program Files, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin, Cache, Logs.
In each personal computer and Windows Server, you need to install many programs. The more you installed, the less free space left in C drive. Many server administrators know the importance to change default installation path, but many files are still saved to C drive.
Other large files such as system back, restore point, Windows Updates can eat large amount of free space.
How to fix low disk space on Windows Server 2019
When low disk space happens in Windows Server 2019, firstly, you'd better clean up disk to get some precious free space, so the server could keep running in the right way. In addition, you can install some programs to help solve this problem. Secondly, you should add more free space to system C drive from other data partition. Otherwise, you'll encounter the low disk space issue again in the near future.
Step 1: Clean up disk to reclaim free space
To accomplish this task, Windows Server 2019 has native Disk Cleanup utility, which is able to remove common types of junk and unnecessary files. Of course you may use other system optimization software, but Disk Cleanup is well enough. The most important, it can delete files safely without damaging system.
Follow the steps to free up disk with Windows Server 2019 Disk Cleanup:
- Press Windows and R together on the keyboard.
- Type cleanmgr and press Enter.
- Select C: drive in the drop-down list and click OK, then Disk Cleanup dialog box will pop up.
- Click the check-boxes in front of the files that you want to remove, then click OK and confirm.
If you don't want to select files every time, you can delete all or part of sepcified junk files automatically, follow the steps to clean with cleanmgr command.
If you do not get over 10GB free space after cleaning up, you'd better add more from other data volume. Otherwise, the free space will be eaten up quickly by new generated junk files.
Step 2: Add more free space to C drive
To do this, Windows native Disk Management cannot extend partition by shrinking another one, so you'd better run sever partition software. This kind of tools can shrink a large partition to release free space and then add into C drive. In this way, Operating System, programs and associated settings, as well as anything else (except partition size) keep the same with before.
There are many choices but you'd better back up first and run the safest, because there's potential system and data damage risk with unreliable partitioning software. Better than other disk partition tools, NIUBI Partition Editor is much safer and faster because of the advanced technologies:
- Virtual Mode - all operations will be listed as pending for preview, real disk partitions won't be modified until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied wrong operations, it doesn't matter, you can cancel the ongoing operations without losing data.
- 1 Second Rollback - if encounter any error while resizing partition, it automatically reverts server to original status in a flash.
- Advanced file-moving algorithm - move and extend partition 30% to 300% faster.
Download NIUBI Partition Editor and follow the steps in the video to add more free space to system C drive:
The more free space you add to C drive, the less probability low disk space happens.
- If you installed programs to C drive, change their default output path to other large partition.
- When installing new programs, change the default path to other partition.
- Run Windows Disk Cleanup once a month to delete new generated junk files.
Then you can fix low disk space issue on Windows Server 2019 completely.