This article introduces how to increase partition size on Windows Server 2012 R. Increase size of system partition or data drive D, E without data loss.
Increase partition size in Server 2012 DM
After running the server for a period of time, it is very common that a drive runs out of space, especially to system partition C. In this situation, nobody likes to waste a long time to recreate partitions and restore from backup. It can't be better if you can increase the size of system partition fast and without losing data.
Windows Server 2012 native Disk Management tool can help increase partition size with Extend Volume function. However, it only works by deleting the adjacent drive. It is not the best choice.
As you see in my server:
- The 20GB Unallocated space can only be made on the right side of drive D via Shrink Volume function.
- Extend Volume greyed out for both C: and E: drive, because the Unallocated space is nonadjacent to C and is on the left side of E.
If you want to increase C: drive space with Disk Management, you have to delete drive D to get right adjacent Unallocated space.
In most of servers, programs or some Windows services are running from drive D, so you can't delete it.
If partition D is Logical, Extend Volume is still disabled for C: drive after deleting D. You'd better run partition editor software.
How to increase size of system partition
Comparing with Server 2012 Disk Management, NIUBI Partition Editor has many advantages such as:
- Both NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported to shrink and extend.
- While shrinking a drive, Unallocated space can be generated on either side.
- Unallocated space can be merged to either contiguous partition by 1 step.
- Unallocated space can be moved and then combined to any non-adjacent partition.
- Has other ability to merge, copy, convert, wipe, hide partition, scan bad sectors, etc.
Download NIUBI Partition Editor and you'll see all disk partitions with structure and other information. There is C, D, E and system reserved partition in Disk 0. Original C: drive is 40GB and D: is 70GB.
Steps to increase system partition size on Windows Server 2012:
Step 2: Right click drive D: and select "Resize/Move Volume", drag left border towards right in the pop-up window. (or enter an amount manually)
Step 2: Right click system partition C: and select "Resize/Move Volume" again, drag right border towards right in the pop-up window.
Step 3: Click Apply to take effect to real disk partitions. (Any operations before this step only work in virtual mode.)
Watch the video how to increase size of system volume in Windows Server 2012:
If you use VMware, Hyper-V or any types of hardware RAID arrays, the steps are the same. Follow the steps if you want to increase size of system reserved partition.
How to increase partition size of drive D:
When there is plenty of unused space in the left partition C: or right partition E, the steps are similar, follow the steps in the video:
If you cannot get unused space from other partitions in the same disk, you may consider moving partition D to other larger disk:
How to increase drive size with other disk
In some servers, system partition C is full but there is no other partition in the same disk, or the entire disk is small and you can't get free space from other partitions. Then you need to copy this disk to another larger one. No partitioning software can add space from another separated disk.
Different with data volumes, C: drive is where Operating System running from, copying single C: drive cannot ensure Windows bootable.
How to increase partition size in Windows Server 2012 with extra space on other disk:
Disk Management is useless if you want to increase size of a partition by shrinking other one. NIUBI Partition Editor provides full solution to help accomplish this task, no matter you want to increase system partition size or add space to any data volumes. Select the corresponding method according to your disk partition configuration (structure).
Better than other software, NIUBI Partition Editor has unique technologies to protect data and save time:
- 1 Second Rollback - automatically reverts server to original status in a flash if encounter any error.
- Virtual Mode - all operations will be listed as pending for preview, simply click Undo to cancel if you did something wrong.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied incorrect operations, you can also cancel the ongoing operations without causing damage.
- Advanced file-moving algorithm - resize and move partition 30% to 300% faster.