Looking Norton Partition Magic for Windows 10 32/64 bit? It doesn't support Windows 10/8/7/Vista or XP SP2/SP3. This article introduces free Windows 10 partition magic alternative.
About Partition Magic
PartitionMagic is a very famous computer software for partition management from PowerQuest corporation, which was acquired by Symantec in 2003. This program runs on Microsoft Windows Operating Systems or from a bootable CD-ROM. Partition Magic is compatible with Windows NT, 98, ME, 2000, and XP desktop editions (not fully support XP SP2/SP3).
PartitionMagic version history:
- 1997 - PartitionMagic 3.0 released under PowerQuest.
- 1999 - PartitionMagic 4.0 released under PowerQuest.
- Apr.2000 - PartitionMagic 5.0 released under PowerQuest.
- Dec.2000 - PartitionMagic 6.0 released under PowerQuest.
- 2001 - PartitionMagic 7.0 released under PowerQuest.
- 2002 - PartitionMagic 8.0 released under PowerQuest.
- December 5, 2003 - Symantec acquired PowerQuest.
- May 5, 2004 - PartitionMagic 8.0.5 released under Symantec. (no more release from then on.)
- On December 8, 2009, the Symantec website states, "Sorry, we no longer offer Norton Partition Magic."
It's time to say goodbye to this software, however, because Partition Magic is so famous many people still search or talk about it nowadays. Many PartitionMagic fans still try their best to find out a way such as creating bootable media. Is it possible to install Partition Magic in Windows 10 or build bootable media?
What happens if installing Partition Magic on Windows 10?
There's no issue while installing Partition Magic to my Windows 10 computer, but there's an error pops up after launching this program - "Init failed: Error 117. Partition's drive letter cannot be identified". After clicking OK, Partition Magic is terminated.
What about Partition Magic portable for Windows 10?
After searching the internet I found some Partition Magic EXE format portable version, but if I run it in Windows 10, it reports "PartitionMagic can only run on Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP."
You can create Partition Magic rescue disk with floppy disk, but there's no way to build Partition Magic bootable CD/DVD or Partition Magic portable USB disc that doesn't rely on Operating System. Even if you can create such media, do not run it on Windows 10, 8, 7 or Vista, because boot manager is changed and new disk type are added in these versions. Otherwise, it will cause system boot failure or partition damage.
Luckily, there's alternative of Partition Magic for Windows 10, to home users, there's even free edition.
Free Windows 10 Partition Magic alternative
There are many disk partition software for Windows 10 that works similarly with Norton Partition Magic, including Windows setup and Linux-kernel based. Considering compatibility, Linux-kernel based tool is not the best choice. Here I recommend free alternative of Partition Magic for Windows 10 - NIUBI Partition Editor Free Edition. It is 100% clean without any bundled advertisements or plugins.
Download NIUBI Partition Editor Free and you'll see the main window with 5 blocks.
- All single partitions with detailed information such as capacity, free space, file system, type and status.
- All hard disks with graphical structure.
- Available operations to the selected disk or partition, unavailable operations are hidden automatically.
- The operations you do won't be executed immediately, instead, they'll be listed as pending.
- Undo the unwanted pending operation, redo the cancelled or click Apply to execute. (Real disk partition won't be modified until you click Apply to confirm.
What does Partition Editor Free do?
Available operations to a partition:
- Resize volume (shrink and extend)
- Move partition location
- Merge two adjacent volumes by 1 step
- Copy volume to Unallocated space
- Convert partition between Logical and Primary
- Convert NTFS to FAT32
- Change drive letter (such as D:)
- Change label (add or modify name of partition)
- Set as Active
- Check file system integrity
- Defrag to improve performance
- Hide from File Explorer
- Delete (files can be recovered)
- Format volume to use as new
- Wipe (erase data permanently)
- Surface test (scan bad sectors)
- Explore (view files/folders with directory)
- View properties
Available operations to whole disk:
- Initialize brand new disk
- Change status to offline or online
- Set read-only attribute
- Wipe disk (cannot be recovered)
- Surface test
- View properties
- Clone disk to migrate data and OS
- Convert MBR disk to GPT
- Delete all partitions
- Cleanup disk
Advantages of NIUBI Partition Editor
There are many Windows 10 Partition Magic alternatives in the market, both the GUI and functions of these partitioning software are similar with Norton PartitionMagic, but NIUBI Partition Editor is recommended by many editors and professionals, because it is 100% free to all home users, no function restrictions except creating bootable media, no bundled advertisement. Furthermore, it has unique advanced technologies.
1 Second Rollback
There's potential system damage and data loss risk while changing disk partition, because the parameters of associated disk, partition and files must be modified correctly. Any software internal error or hardware issue such as power outage could cause disaster. If it happens, you cannot boot Windows or lose precious data if you did not back up. It also costs a long time to restore even if you have backup.
Better than other software, NIUBI Partition Editor has innovative 1 Second Rollback technology to protect system and data. If anything goes wrong, it automatically reverts computer to original status in a flash like nothing happened.
It is common that you changed your mind after did an operation or realized that you did something wrong. To avoid mistake, NIUBI Partition Editor is designed to work in virtual mode. The operations you do won't be executed immediately. Instead, they'll be listed as pending on bottom left, you can preview or cancel any unwanted operations. Real disk partitions won't be modified until you click Apply to confirm.
If you started any operations, other partition software don't allow you cancelling from the beginning or over 50%. Because the cancellation causes part of the parameters unable to be modified, then system and/or data will be damaged.
Thanks to the unique Cancel-at-well technology, while running NIUBI you can cancel any ongoing operations at any progress without worrying about losing data.
When you moving or shrinking a partition towards right, the start position of this partition is changed, so all files in it will be moved to new locations. It is a heavy work and costs much time especially when there are large amount of files. A good algorithm is helpful to reduce time. Thanks to the unique file-moving algorithm, NIUBI Partition Editor is 30% to 300% faster than ANY other tools.
This free partition magic alternative works on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP (32 and 64 bit), all types of internal and removable hard disk, SSD, any types of hardware RAID arrays, VMware/Hyper-V and USB discs are all supported.