How to merge partitions in Windows 10?
Merge partitions means combine 2 disk volumes into a larger one. You need to merge Windows 10 partitions in two typical situations: 1, system C drive or a data volume is running out of space, by combining with other partitions you can convert the disk space to part of the free space in C drive. 2, there are too many volumes causing it difficult to identify the partition and files you want. In this article, I’ll introduce how to combine volume in Windows 10.
2 ways to merge disk partition
To combine Windows 10 volumes there are two choices: Disk Management snap-in and 3rd-party partition software.
Disk Management is a built-in component of all Windows Operating System, which can do some basic management operations such as create, delete and format volume. In Windows 10 Disk Management, there are advanced functions to change existing partition size. Shrink Volume can reduce size of a single partition and Extend Volume can increase size of volume. There is no “Merge Volumes” functions, but Extend Volume can be used to merge partitions indirectly.
Instead, you may use 3rd-party free partition software such as NIUBI Partition Editor Free. Compare with Windows Disk Management, NIUBI Partition Edition is much powerful. It provides basic partition management to create, delete, format partition, change drive letter, etc. Advanced management to resize/move existing partition without data loss, copy, hide, set active, convert, defrag, check partition and much more.
Combine Windows 10 partitions with Disk Management
It is very easy to do this, but first you should back up or transfer files. Example to merge drive C and D:
1. Right click Windows on bottom left corner and select Disk Management.
2. Right click drive D and select Delete Volume, disk space of D will be changed to Unallocated.
3. Right click drive C and select Extend Volume.
4. Extend Volume Wizard will be launched, click Next to continue.
5. Simply click Next to continue if you do not want to change the selected disk and space.
6. Confirm this operation again, click Finish to execute.
7. In a while, disk space of drive D merged into C drive.
Merge partitions with free partition managerDownloadNIUBI Partition Editor Free Edition, right click C drive and select Resize/Move Volume:
In the pop-up window, drag the right border rightwards to hold the Unallocated space:
Click OK and back to the main window, press Apply on top left to proceed, done.
Disadvantages of merging volumes
If you want to combine two data drives in Windows 10, you may follow the steps above, however, if you want to extend C drive by merging D, it is not a good idea, because:
- You’ll lose data if you forget to back up or transfer data to other device.
- All Windows services, application, shortcuts that point to drive D stop working after deleting.
Watch the video how to resize volume on Windows 10:
As the most popular free partition software, NIUBI Partition Editor Free helps resize, shrink, extend, copy, hide, defrag, check, create, delete, format partition and much more. It is 100% free for home user, no ads or bundles, 100% clean and safe.