Many people have installed or upgraded to Windows 10. To manage disk partitions and maximum disk performance, you need a disk partition manager for Windows 10 no matter you use traditional mechanical disk, SSD (Solid State Drive) or even RAID arrays. There are two types of free partition manager for Windows 10.
If you just want to initialize brand new hard disk, create, delete and format partition, Windows 10 has built-in Disk Management utility to help you. If you want to do some advanced operations such as resize, move, merge, copy, convert, defrag, wipe, hide partition, etc. you need third party partition manager software.Top 3 reasons why Windows 10 partition manager is needed:
- Before saving files to a brand new hard disk drive, you must initialize it, create new partition and then format it with a file system.
- In some computers, there's only C drive on the system disk, you'd better shrink it and create new volumes for programs and personal files. To some computers that is running for a long time, there may be not enough free space in C drive, so you'd better add more free space to it from other partitions.
- In some cases, you need to convert disk partition type, such as converting MBR disk to GPT, convert Logical partition from/to Primary, or convert NTFS to FAT32.
Windows 10 native partition manager
Windows 10 has its native free partition manager - Disk Management, it can create, delete, format partition, set Active and change drive letter. For advanced users, you may change size of allocated partitions with Shrink Volume and Extend Volume functions.
However, if you want to expand C drive by shrinking D or other volume, Disk Management cannot help you, because Unallocated space that shrunk from any volume is nonadjacent to C drive, so Extend Volume is greyed out. If you want to do that, 3rd-party partition software is needed.
- To open Windows 10 Disk Management: press Windows and X together on your keyboard and then click it from the list.
- To other Windows versions, press Windows and R keys together, input diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
Windows 10 Disk Management can convert MBR disk from/to GPT, but you must delete all partitions on this disk in advance. Right click each disk or partition in Windows 10 Disk Management, you'll see all options, unavailable operations are grayed out.
Best free partition manager for Windows 10
There are many partition manager for Windows 10/8/7 in the market, the GUI and functions are all similar, then how to select the right tool for your own computer? The most important aspect is data protection ability, because there's potential system and data damage risk while repartitioning hard disk drive. The second aspect is speed, nobody likes a tool that costs a long time to resize, move, copy or do other operations.
Among these Windows 10 partition manager, NIUBI Partition Editor is recommended by many editors and end users. It has free edition for Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP (32 & 64bit) home computer users. It is 100% clean without any bundled plugins or advertisements.
Download this free partition manager to Windows 10 laptop/desktop/pad and you'll see 4 blocks in the main window.
- Disk model and single partitions with detailed parameters such as capacity, free space, file system, type and status.
- All storage devices with partition structure. Local/removable hard disk, hardware RAID array, USB flash drive, Memory cards, virtual disk are all supported.
- Available operations to selected disk or partition, unavailable operations are hidden automatically.
- Refresh disk partition info, undo pending operations, redo canceled operations, or click Apply to modify real disk partitions.
To do any operations, you just need to click, drag and drop on the disk map. If you do not understand how to operate, check the video guide. Comparing with Windows 10 Disk Management, NIUBI Partition Editor can do much more operations.
To Unallocated space:
- Create one or more volumes
- Wipe data in it
- Surface test (scan bad sectors)
- View properties (detailed parameters)
To whole disk:
- Change status to offline or online
- Set read-only attribute
- Wipe disk (cannot be recovered)
- Surface test
- View properties
- Clone disk to migrate data and OS
- Convert MBR disk to GPT
- Delete all partitions
- Cleanup disk
To single partition:
- Resize volume (shrink and extend)
- Move location
- Merge two adjacent volumes by 1 step
- Copy to Unallocated space
- Convert to Logical or Primary partition
- Convert NTFS to FAT32
- Change drive letter (such as D:)
- Change label (add a name or modify)
- Set as Active
- Check file system integrity
- Defrag to improve performance
- Hide from File Explorer
- Delete (files can be recovered)
- Format volume to use as new
- Wipe (erase data permanently)
- Surface test
- Explore (view files/folders with directory)
- View properties
Unique features of this free partition manager
Comparing with other Windows 10 partition manager software, NIUBI Partition Editor is much safer and faster because of the advanced technologies and algorithm.
- 1 Second Rollback - automatically reverts computer to original status in a flash if encounter any error.
- Virtual Mode - avoid incorrect operations by listing all as pending for preview, real disk partitions won't be changed until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - cancel unwanted but ongoing operations without causing damage.
- Hot-Resize - shrink and extend most of partition without rebooting computer.
- Advanced file-moving algorithm - resize and move partition 30% to 300% faster.
Unlike other free disk partition manager that lock some features or has bundled plugins, NIUBI Partition Editor Free Edition is 100% free and clean. In addition, the same with commercial editions, it has free 24/7 live chat and remote support. But different with professional edition, 1-Second Rollback technology and bootable media builder is not included.