After running Windows 11 laptop, desktop or tablet computer for a period of time, many people encounter a problem that C: drive is getting full. In this situation, nobody likes to waste a long time to back up everything, recreate partitions and restore. Some people ask whether it's possible to extend C drive in Windows 11 computer without reinstalling OS and programs. The answer is yes. In this article, I'll introduce how to extend C drive volume in Windows 11 desktop/laptop/tablet with free partition software.
1. How to extend C drive with adjacent partition D
To extend C drive partition in Windows 11 computer, there are several ways. You'd better find out your own disk partition layout and use corresponding method below.
In most of computers, there's free space in the contiguous partition D (or E). You may either delete or shrink this partition to get Unallocated space, and then add to C drive. If you don't want to use any third party software, you may try Windows native Disk Management tool, but your disk partition configuration must meet all requirements below.
Requirements to extend C drive partition with Windows 11 Disk Management:
- There's a contiguous partition (such as D:) on the right of C drive, you must delete this partition to get adjacent Unallocated space.
- The right contiguous D: drive must be a Primary partition.
- There are no programs installed in the contiguous partition.
Steps to extend C drive volume in Windows 11 Disk Management:
- Press Windows + X keys together and click Disk Management in the list.
- Right click the contiguous partition D and select Delete Volume option.
- Right click C: drive and select Extend Volume option, follow up the Extend Volume Wizard via several clicks.
If your disk partition configuration doesn't meet the requirements or if you don't want to delete any partition, there's free disk partition software to help you increase C drive space in Windows 11 computer. Better than other software, NIUBI Partition Editor has unique 1-Second Rollback, Virtual Mode and Cancel-at-well technologies to protect system and data. In addition, it is much faster because of the special file-moving algorithm.
To extend C drive volume in Windows 11 computer with NIUBI, you can shrink D drive and make Unallocated space on the left, then C drive can be extended fast and easily. Operating System, programs and anything else keep the same with before. All you need to do is clicking, drag and drop on the disk map.
Download NIUBI free edition, you'll see all storage devices with partition structure and other information on the main window. In my computer, there are C, D, E and several small partitions on Disk 0.
Steps to extend C drive in Windows 11 with free space in adjacent partition:
- Right click the adjacent partition (here is D:) and select "Resize/Move Volume" option. In the pop-up window, drag the left border towards right, or enter an amount directly in the box of "Unallocated space before".
- Right click C: drive and select "Resize/Move Volume" option again, drag the right border towards right to merge this Unallocated space.
- Click Apply on top left to execute, done.
2. How to extend C drive with nonadjacent partition
In some computers, there's not enough free space in the adjacent partition. In that case, you can shrink any nonadjacent partition on the same disk to get Unallocated space. The steps are similar but there's an additional step to move Unallocated space next to C drive before merging.
Steps to extend C drive in Windows 11 with nonadjacent partition:
- Shrink the nonadjacent volume (here is E:) and make Unallocated space on the left (similar with step 1 above).
- Right click the middle partition D and select "Resize/Move Volume", drag the middle block towards right in the pop-up window. Then Unallocated space will be moved to the left of D drive.
- Extend C drive with Unallocated space (the same with step 2 above).
- Click Apply to take effect of the changes.
Watch the video how to extend C drive in Windows 11 laptop/desktop/tablet computer:
3. How to increase C drive space with a larger disk
If there's only C drive or no available free space on the system disk, you cannot add space from a partition on a separate disk. In that case, you can clone the system disk to a larger one and expand C drive with extra disk space, follow the steps in the video:
Besides extending C drive in Windows 11/10/8/7/Vista/XP computer, NIUBI Partition Editor helps you do many other disk partition management operations such as merge, convert, defrag, hide, wipe, scan bad sectors and much more.