This article introduces how to merge 2 partitions in Windows Server 2016 without losing data. Combine Server 2016 partitions with Disk Management and NIUBI Partition Editor.
Sometimes you need to merge two partitions for Windows 2016 server, for example: when a partition is running out of disk space, by merging another drive, free space will be transferred to this partition. In some servers, the administrator created too many partitions in a disk, it causes difficulty to identify partition to locate files. This article introduces how to merge partitions in Windows Server 2016 with native and 3rd-party tools.
1. Combine partitions with Server 2016 Disk Management
Windows Server 2016 has no "Merge Volume" function in native Disk Management utility, but you can combine two partitions with "Extend Volume" indirectly. Note: 1 of the partitions will be deleted, don't do this if you installed programs or any services to this partition. If you decide to delete this partition, remember to transfer files to other place before deleting.
Steps to merge 2 partitions in Windows Server 2016 Disk Management:
- Press Windows and X to together on the keyboard and then select Disk Management in the list.
- Right click the drive that you want to remove (here is E:) and select Delete Volume.
- Right click the left contiguous partition (here is D:) and select Extend Volume.
- Extend Volume Wizard will be launched, simply click Next till Finish.
In a while, E: drive is merged into D.
- Disk Management can only merge a partition into the left contiguous one, for example: merge E to D, or combine D to C.
- With Disk Management, the left contiguous partition must be NTFS, Extend Volume is disabled for any other types of partitions.
- With Disk Management, the 2 partitions must be the same Primary or Logical.
2. Better way to merge 2 partitions in Windows 2016 server
Comparing with Disk Management, NIUBI Partition Editor has more advantages while merging partitions in Windows 2016 server.
- It is able to combine partitions with different type, no matter they are NTFS or FAT32, Primary or Logical.
- Except C: drive, either contiguous partition can be selected as target. (You cannot merge system partition to a data volume.)
- You don't have to transfer files manually, all files in a partition will be moved to the root folder in the other one.
- Much easier, only several clicks are needed.
How to merge partitions in Windows 2016 server with NIUBI Partition Editor:
- Download and install this program, right click drive D or E and select Merge Volume.
- Click the check-box in front of both D: and E:, and then click the drop-down box on bottom to select destination drive. If you select D:, partition E will be merged into D.
- Click OK and back to the main window, where you'll see that partition D and E are combined together. There is a pending operation "Merge volume E: to D:" added on bottom left. Click Apply on top left to execute, done.
Open partition D after merging complete, there is a new folder named as "E to D (date and time)" created. All files in partition E are moved to this folder automatically.
Watch the video how to merge contiguous partitions in Windows 2016 server:
NIUBI Partition Editor is designed to work in its virtual mode, the operations you do won't be executed immediately, instead, they'll be listed as pending for preview. You may click Undo to cancel the unwanted operations or click Apply to take effect. Better than other software, it has 1-Second Rollback and Cancel-at-well technologies to protect system and data.
3. How to merge non-adjacent partitions
If you want to merge non adjacent partitions in Windows Server 2016, the native Disk Management is useless. Follow the steps below to combine with NIUBI:
- Back up or transfer all files in drive E to other place.
- Right click E: drive and select Delete Volume.
- Right click D: drive and select "Resize/Move Volume", drag the middle towards right in the pop-up window.
- Right click C: drive and select "Resize/Move Volume" again, drag right border towards right to combine Unallocated space.
- Remember to click Apply to execute.
4. Shortage of merging Server 2016 volumes
No matter which tool you use to merge partitions for Windows 2016 Server, one of the volumes will be removed. If you want to increase size of a partition, the best way is by shrinking other drive to get Unallocated space, and then add to the partition that you want to extend. In this way, Operating System, programs, Windows services and anything else keeps the same with before.
Besides shrinking, extending and merge partitions in Windows Server 2016, NIUBI Partition Editor helps move, copy, defrag, wipe, hide partition, scan bad sectors and much more.