Sometimes you need to move disk partition in Windows Server 2016, but Windows native Disk Management cannot do this, so 3rd-party software is needed. There is risk of losing data when you moving volume with unreliable disk partition software, so remember to back up first and run safe tool. This article introduces how to move partition in Server 2016 to the left/right or to another disk without losing data. To do this, you just need to drag and drop on the disk map.
How to move partition D to expand C
Windows Server 2016 provides Shrink Volume and Extend Volume feature in Disk Management snap-in, so when C drive is running out of space, many people try to extend C drive by shrinking D. However, they cannot extend C drive after shrinking D, because Extend Volume is greyed out.
From Microsoft explanation, to expand a drive with Extend Volume function, there must be adjacent Unallocated space on its right side. After shrinking D with Shrink Volume, Unallocated space is made on the right side of D, so it's non adjacent to C drive.
To solve this problem, you can move partition D towards right with NIUBI Partition Editor, Unallocated space will be moved to the left at the same time, then Extend Volume is enabled for C drive.
How to move partition D in Windows Server 2016 to expand C drive:
- Download NIUBI Partition Editor, right click partition D and select Resize/Move Volume, drag the middle towards right side in the pop-up window.
- Right click C drive and select "Resize/Move Volume" again, drag the right border towards right to combine Unallocated space.
- Click Apply on top left to execute, done. (NIUBI is designed to work in its virtual mode, real disk partitions won't be modified until click Apply to confirm.)
How to move partition to left or right side
If you want to shrink D to expand drive E, Disk Management still cannot help you, but with NIUBI Partition Editor you can merge the contiguous Unallocated space to E drive directly without moving partition.
To do this, right click drive E and select "Resize/Move Volume", drag left border towards left in the pop-up window:
If there's another drive F on the right side of E, before adding this Unallocated space to it, you need to move partition E towards left.
How to move partition E to left in Server 2016:
Similarly, run NIUBI Partition Editor, right click drive E and select "Resize/Move Volume". Put the mouse pointer in the middle and drag towards left in the pop-up window.
How to move disordered partition
Sometimes, the partitions are in disorder due to some reason, for example, the partitions are display as C, D, F, E.
In this situation, you may change drive letter of volume F and E without moving partitions. To do this, firstly right click drive E and select "Change Drive Letter" in NIUBI Partition Editor, select G or other one in the pop-up window. Then change drive F to E, finally change G (or other one) to F.
How to move partition to another disk
Sometimes you need to move single or all partitions to another disk. For example: there are C and D drive on the system disk. You want to extend C drive but there's not enough free space in D drive. Besides copying disk to larger one, you can move partition D to another disk, delete it and add the disk space to C drive.
Steps to move partition to another disk in Windows Server 2016 with NIUBI:
- (Optional) Shrink a volume on the other disk to get Unallocated space (larger than the used space of drive D).
- Right click original partition (D:) and select Copy Volume, select the Unallocated space in pop-up window.
- Edit the size, location and type of the target partition and click Finish.
- Right click original partition D and select Change Drive Letter, change it to any other one.
- Change the drive letter of target partition to D.
It is similar if you want to move a partition to front or end of disk in Windows Server 2016.
- While moving partition D, you can expand it with additional disk space.
- If you want to move all partitions in Windows 2016 server to another disk, follow the steps to copy disk partitions.
To move partition in Windows Server 2016, the native Disk Management is useless. NIUBI Partition Editor can accomplish this task fast and safely, you just need to click, drag and drop on the disk map.
Better than other tools, NIUBI Partition Editor has innovative 1 Second Rollback, Virtual Mode and Cancel-at-well technologies to protect system and data. In addition, it is 30% - 300% faster because of its advanced file-moving algorithm. This is very helpful when there are large amount of files in the partitions that you want to move.