This article introduces how to increase C drive free space in Windows Server 2019, 3 ways to increase system C drive space on Server 2019 without losing data.
Comparing with data volumes, system C: drive is very likely running out of free space if you did not create it large enough. When a data drive is getting full, you can transfer files and change output location, but to system partition, it is much more complicated. If you contact support from server OEM manufacturer, they'll tell you to back up, recreate disk drives and restore everything. This traditional method works indeed, but it may costs several hours to a whole day. Nobody wants to see server offline for such a long time.
In this article, I'll show you how to increase C drive space in Windows Server 2019 without starting over. Increase C drive disk space by taking free space from other drives or with another hard disk.
Which tool to reallocate disk space in Server 2019
Windows Server 2019 has its built-in Disk Management component, which is able to decrease and increase partition size without losing data (in most cases). But to increase C drive space in Server 2019, Disk Management is not the best choice, because it cannot extend partition by shrinking another one.
When you shrinking drive D with Shrink Volume, Unallocated space can only be made on its right side, but to expand C drive with Extend Volume, there must be Unallocated space on the left side of drive D. The only option to get adjacent Unallocated space behind C drive is by deleting D, but in most servers, programs and some Windows services are running from it, so you cannot delete it.
To increase C drive space in Server 2019, you'd better run disk partition software, however, not all software can accomplish this task well, because there is system/data loss risk. When resizing disk partitions, the parameters of associated disk, partition and files must be modified correctly. If any software error or hardware issue happens, part of the parameters won't be modified, then damage occur.
Better than other disk partition software, NIUBI Partition Editor has advanced technologies to protect system and data:
- Virtual Mode - all operations will be listed as pending for preview, real disk partitions won't be modified until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied wrong operations, it doesn't matter, you can cancel the ongoing operations without causing damage.
- 1 Second Rollback - if encounter any error while resizing partitions, it automatically reverts server to original status in a flash.
- Advanced file-moving algorithm - move and extend partition 30% to 300% faster.
Increase C drive free space by shrinking D
In most cases, there's plenty of free space in the contiguous partition D. You can shrink it to release free space, then the space will be changed to Unallocated, finally add this Unallocated space to C drive. In this way, you won't lose any partition, Operating System, programs and anything else keep the same with before.
How to increase C drive free space from D in Windows Server 2019:
- Download NIUBI Partition Editor, right click D: drive and select Resize/Move Volume, in the pop-up window, drag left border towards right or enter a value in the box of Unallocated space before. Then part of free space will be released and convert to Unallocated space on the left side of D.
- Right click C: drive and select Resize/Move Volume again, drag right border towards right to combine this Unallocated space.
- Click Apply on top left to execute.
- This software is designed to work in virtual mode, real disk partitions won't be changed until click Apply to confirm. If you did anything wrong, simply click Undo to cancel.
- If you use any types of hardware RAID arrays such as RAID 0/1/5/10, do not break array or do any operation to raid controller, simply follow the same steps in the video.
Increase C drive space by taking free space from nonadjacent volume
If there's not plenty of free space in the contiguous drive D, you can get from any nonadjacent volume on the same disk.
Follow the steps to increase C drive space for Server 2019:
- Right click E: drive and select Resize/Move Volume, shrink it and make Unallocated space on the left.
- Right click D: drive and select Resize/Move Volume, drag the middle towards right in the pop-up window.
- Right click C: drive and select Resize/Move Volume again, drag the right border to combine Unallocated space.
- Click Apply to confirm and execute.
Watch the video how to do this:
Increase system C drive space with another disk
In few servers, the whole system disk is almost full, so there's unavailable free space on the same disk. In that case, no software can add space to C drive from another different disk. To physical hard disk in a local server, you need to copy disk to a larger one, then additional space can be added into C drive (and other partitions). Follow the steps in the video:
If you want to increase free space of C: drive (system partition) in Windows Server 2019, make a backup first and run safe partition software. Thanks to the advanced technologies, NIUBI Partition Editor helps accomplish this task fast and safely. Select the corresponding method according to your own disk partition structure. Besides shrinking, extending, moving and extending partition, NIUBI helps you do many other disk partition management operations.