This article introduces how to move partition in Windows Server 2019 without losing data, move partition to left/right, or move volume to front/end of disk.
Sometimes you need to move partition location on a disk, the typical example is that Extend Volume greyed out for C drive after shrinking D under Server 2019 Disk Management, leaving the Unallocated space in a puzzle. This problem can be solved easily if you can move drive D to the right side. In this article, I'll show you how to move partition in a disk and to another disk for Windows Server 2019.
Cannot move volume in Server 2019 Disk Management
Disk Management in Windows Server 2003 can only do some basic operations such as create, delete and format partition. Windows Server 2008 improved the ability by adding new Shrink and Extend Volume to help resize partition without losing data (in most cases). However, not every partition can be resized because of some restrictions.
Windows Server 2019 Disk Management inherits the same functions and restrictions such as:
- It only supports shrinking and extending NTFS partition.
- It can only make Unallocated space on the right while shrinking a partition.
- It can only extend a NTFS partition when there's contiguous Unallocated space on the right side.
This is the reason why many people feedback that Extend Volume is disabled for C drive after shrinking D. Disk Management cannot move partition D or make Unallocated space on the left directly while shrinking. So, you need partition editor software to move drive D and exchange the position with Unallocated space, then C drive can be extended easily.
How to move partition to left/right or front/end of disk
There are many software that is able to shrink, extend and move partition in Windows Server 2019, but because there's potential system and data damage risk, so you'd better make a backup and run the safest tool. Better than other software, NIUBI Partition Editor is much safer and faster because of the advanced technologies:
- Virtual Mode - all operations will be listed as pending for preview, real disk partitions won't be modified until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied wrong operations, it doesn't matter, you can cancel the ongoing operations without causing damage.
- 1 Second Rollback - if encounter any error while resizing partitions, it automatically reverts server to original status in a flash.
- Advanced file-moving algorithm - move and extend partition 30% to 300% faster.
How to move partition D to the right in Windows Server 2019:
- Download NIUBI Partition Editor, right click D: drive and select "Resize/Move Volume".
- In the pop-up window, drag the middle towards right, then D: drive will be moved to the right, Unallocated space will be moved to the left.
- Click Apply on top left to confirm and execute.
Watch the video how to move partition D and add Unallocated space to C drive:
If you want to merge Unallocated space to drive E, you can merge directly without moving partition E to the left and moving Unallocated space to end of disk. To do this, right click E and select Resize/Move Volume, drag left border towards left in the pop-up window.
How to move partition to another disk
Sometimes you also need to move a partition from one disk to another in Windows Server 2019, for example: there are only C and D drives on a disk but both partitions are full, so you may move volume D to another disk and add its disk space to C drive. Another solution is copying entire disk to a larger one.
How to move partition to another disk in Windows Server 2019:
- Shrink a volume on the other disk to get Unallocated space (equal or larger than the used space of drive D), ignore this step there's already Unallocated space.
- Right click partition (D:) and select Copy Volume, select the Unallocated space in pop-up window.
- Edit the size, location and type of the target partition and click Finish.
- Right click partition D and select Change Drive Letter, change it to any other one.
- Change the drive letter of target partition to D.
In many servers, drive D is used for programs, after changing drive letters, programs will run from the "new" D drive on another disk. To other volume, you may ignore this step.
Besides shrinking, extending and moving partition in Windows Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003, NIUBI Partition Editor helps do many other disk partition management operations.