Hard disk drive is an indispensable component of a server machine, no matter you use HDD, SSD or any types of RAID array. Operating System runs from the disk, many kinds of files read from and write into the disk continuously, too. To a server, the stability of both Operating System and hard disk are most important. Besides hardware stability, disk space usage could be an annoying problem. The typical example is that C drive running out of space in a certain time. Nobody likes to waste such a long time to recreate partitions and restore everything from backup. You need a reliable disk partition software for Windows server 2016 to expand C drive. In this article, I'll introduce the safest and fastest partition manager software for Windows Server 2016.
Built-in partition manager in Windows Server 2016
Windows Server 2016 has its native partition manager - Disk Management. It is able to initialize a brand new hard disk, create, delete and format partition, change drive letter and path. Besides the basic ability to manage disk partition, it has some advanced features such as:
- It is able to shrink and extend partition without losing data (in most cases). However, not all partitions can be resized. It can only extend NTFS partition by deleting the contiguous volume on the right.
- It is able to convert disk between MBR and GPT, between basic and dynamic, but, it's destructive, you must firstly delete all partitions in the disk.
- Another advanced ability is that Disk Management can create and manage dynamic disk volumes. However, dynamic disk consumes much server resource (CPU, RAM, etc.). Nowadays, hardware such RAID controller, hard disk drives are much cheaper, most of servers replace dynamic disk volumes with hardware RAID array.
More about Windows Server 2016 Disk Management.
Safest partition software for Windows Server 2016
There are many partitioning software for Windows Server 2016 and they are much more powerful than Disk Management. The GUI and functions are all similar, but it doesn't mean any server partition software is okay. You'd better back up server first and run the safest partition manager for Server 2016.
There is partition corruption and data loss risk while resizing partition or do other modification, but few people know about this. For example, when resizing volumes, server partitioning software will modify all parameters of associated disk, volume and files, any one error could cause damage. Besides software error, some hardware issue such as power failure could cause disaster, too.
Better than other server partition software, NIUBI Partition Editor has advanced technologies to protect system and data.
- Virtual Mode - all operations you do will be listed as pending for preview, real disk partitions won't be modified until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied wrong operations, it doesn't matter, you can cancel the ongoing operations without causing damage.
- 1 Second Rollback - if encounter any error while resizing partitions, it automatically reverts server to original status in a flash. If it happens, your server could back online without modification in a short time.
Fastest disk partitioning software for Server 2016
To a server partitioning software, data protection ability is most important, then what is the second? Efficiency, it is much better if the program runs faster and complete with less time, especially when the disk/partition modification requires server rebooting to proceed. Because of the unique file-moving algorithm, NIUBI Partition Editor is 30% to 300% faster than any other server partition manager.
In some conditions such as very low RAW, very high CPU usage or large amount of files in a partition, it could be 5 times faster. This is strictly tested. If possible, you may compare it with other tools in same condition with a timer.
Download partition editor for Windows Server 2016
Download NIUBI Partition Editor, you'll see the main window with 5 sections.
- All single partitions with detailed parameters.
- All physical and virtual disks (RAID array) with graphical structure.
- Available operations to a selected disk or partition. (You'll see the same options by right clicking.)
- Pending Operations, all operations you do won't be done immediately, instead, they'll be listed there as pending.
- Cancel, redo or apply the pending operations.
Unlike other disk partition software that list all options, NIUIBI only lists the available operations to keep interface clean, unavailable options are hidden automatically.
What does NIUBI Partition Editor do for Windows Server 2016
To Unallocated space:
- Create one or more volumes
- Wipe data in it
- Surface test (scan bad sectors)
- View properties (detailed parameters)
To whole disk:
- Change status to offline or online
- Set read-only attribute
- Wipe disk (cannot be recovered)
- Surface test
- View properties
- Clone disk to migrate data and OS
- Convert MBR disk to GPT
- Delete all partitions
- Cleanup disk
To single partition:
- Resize volume (shrink and extend)
- Move location
- Merge two adjacent volumes by 1 step
- Copy to Unallocated space
- Convert to Logical or Primary partition
- Convert NTFS to FAT32
- Change drive letter (such as D:)
- Change label (partition name)
- Set as Active
- Check file system integrity
- Defrag to improve performance
- Hide from File Explorer
- Delete (files can be recovered)
- Format volume to use as new
- Wipe (erase data permanently)
- Surface test
- Explore (view files/folders with directory)
- View properties
Because of its powerful system/data protection and fast resizing ability, easy to use with neat interface, as well as plenty of disk/partition management features, NIUBI Partition Editor is recommended as the best disk partition software for Windows Server 2016 and other versions.