This article introduces how to extend C: drive in Windows Server 2012 R2 without losing data. 4 ways to enlarge C drive partition with detailed steps.
It can't be better if you can extend system C: drive when it is getting full, nobody likes to waste a long time to recreate partitions and restore from backup. With right tool, you can add more free space to system partition C from other volumes. There are two kinds of tools: Windows native Diskpart command or Disk Management and third party petition editor.
This article introduces full solution with 4 ways to help expand C drive in Windows Server 2012, select corresponding tool and method according to your disk partition configuration.
1. Extend C drive with diskpart command
Both DiskPart and Disk Management are built in Windows, they are safe and easy, but they only work under restricted condition. Diskpart work via command prompt, Disk Management work with graphical interface.
Steps to expand C drive with Diskpart in Windows Server 2012:
- Press Windows and R on keyboard, type diskpart and press Enter.
- Type list volume and press Enter in diskpart command prompt window, then you'll see all single partitions without structure.
- Type select volume D and press Enter to give focus to D drive.
- Type delete volume and press Enter to delete D drive.
- Type select volume C and press Enter to give focus to C.
- Type extend and press Enter.
You'll receive error when extending C drive if you shrink D instead - The size of the extend is less than minimum.
2. Expand C drive with Disk Management
The same with Diskpart command, Disk Management cannot help you enlarge C drive by shrinking other volume, because:
- Both Diskpart shrink command and Disk Management Shrink Volume function can only make Unallocated space on the right after shrinking a partition.
- Both Diskpart extend command and Disk Management Extend Volume function can only combine Unallocated space to the left contiguous partition.
If you want to extend C drive with this native utility, the only option is by deleting the right adjacent volume (D:).
If there is no partition on the right or you cannot delete this adjacent partition, these native tools are useless.
3. How to extend partition C from D or E
In many servers, the adjacent drive D is used for programs or some Windows services, so you cannot delete it.
With NIUBI Partition Editor, you can shrink drive D, E or other data volumes in the same disk, part of unused space of these partition will be converted to Unallocated, this space can be added into C drive easily, no matter it is contiguous to C drive or not, on left or right side.
Operating System, programs and associated settings, as well as anything else keep the same with before. You won't see any difference except partition size changed.
Download NIUBI Partition Editor and follow the steps in the video.
If you want to resize partition and extend C drive in RAID 0/1/5, do not break array or do any operations to raid controller, simply follow the step in the video. There is no difference to resize and extend partition in hardware RAID arrays or VMware/Hyper-V virtual disk.
4. How to enlarge C drive with other disk
Free unused space can be moved and combined to C drive easily, but it only works inside a hard disk. No software can add space to C drive from other separated disk.
If there is no other partition or not enough available free space in the same disk, you can copy this disk to a larger one and expand C drive with extra disk space.
Follow the steps in the video.
Better than other tools, NIUBI Partition Editor is much safer and faster because of the innovative technologies such as:
- Virtual Mode - all operations will be listed as pending for preview, and real disk partitions won't be modified until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied wrong operations, it doesn't matter, you can also cancel the ongoing operations without losing data.
- 1 Second Rollback - if encounter any error while resizing partition, it automatically reverts server to original status in a flash.
- Unique file-moving algorithm - move and extend partition 30% to 300% faster, saving much time especially when there are large amount of files.