The same with other Windows versions, low disk space is the most common issue in Windows Server 2012 and R2. To system C: drive, you cannot solve the problem by transferring files. Instead, you'd need to extend C drive with server partition manager. Besides resizing and extending partition, you need to do other operations to the disk partitions, such as create, delete, format, merge, move, copy, convert. Unlike data read-only program, partition manager software will modify disk partition, so you need reliable partition manager for Server 2012 to optimize and manage hard disk drives. In this article, I'll introduce native free partition manager in Windows Server 2012 (R2) and best partition software for Server 2012/2016/2019/2022/2003/2008.
Native free partition manager in Windows Server 2012 (R2)
The same with other versions, there's native free partition manager in Server 2012 (R2) - Disk Management and Diskpart. Diskpart works via command prompt. Disk Management has graphic interface and works with dialog box. With these native partition manager, you can create, delete, format partition, change drive letter and set partition as Active. Windows Server 2012 inherited Shrink and Extend Volume functions from Server 2008. With the advanced functions, you can change partition size without losing data (in most cases). However, it cannot extend a partition by shrinking another one.
How to run native partition manager in Windows Server 2012 (R2):
- Press Windows + R together on the keyboard, input diskpart and press Enter.
- Press Windows + X together on the keyboard, click Disk Management in the list.
Major disadvantages of Windows Server 2012 Disk Management and diskpart:
- They can only shrink and extend NTFS partition, other types of partitions are not supported.
- They can only shrink partition towards left and make Unallocated space on the right.
- They can only extend partition when there's contiguous Unallocated space on the right.
- They cannot move partition or Unallocated space without losing data.
- Lack of many functions such as move, copy, convert, wipe partition, optimize file system, scan bad sectors, etc.
To manage disk partition in Windows Server 2012 (r2), third party software is better choice.
Best disk partition manager for Windows Server 2012 (R2)
There are many disk partition manager software for Windows Server 2012 in the market, the GUI and functions are similar, how to select? As I said in the beginning, there's potential system damage and data loss risk while changing disk partition. Therefore, you'd better make a backup in advance and run the safest partition software. Because of the powerful data protection ability, fast file-moving algorithm and many other advantages, NIUBI Partition Editor is recommended as the best partition manager for Windows Server 2012, 2016, 2019, 2022, 2003 and 2008. It has 90-days money back guarantee and 24/7 live chat/remote support.
Download this partition manager in Windows 2012 server, you'll see a neat interface with 5 blocks:
- All separate partitions with detailed information such as capacity, free space, file system, type and status.
- All physical/virtual hard disks and USB flash drive with graphical partition structure.
- All available operations of selected disk or partition, unavailable operations are hidden automatically.
- To avoid mistake, all operations you do will be listed as pending for preview.
- Undo and redo the pending operations, or confirm to modify real disk partitions.
What does NIUBI Partition Editor Server do?
To single partition:
- Resize volume (shrink and extend)
- Move partition location
- Merge two adjacent volumes by 1 step
- Optimize file system
- Fast file system level copy
- Convert to Logical or Primary partition
- Optimize file system
- Convert NTFS to FAT32
- Change drive letter (such as D:)
- Change label (add a name or modify)
- Set as Active
- Check file system integrity
- Defrag to improve performance
- Hide from File Explorer
- Delete (files can be recovered)
- Format volume to use as new
- Wipe (erase data permanently)
- Surface test
- Explore (view files/folders with directory)
- View properties
To whole disk:
- Change status to offline or online
- Set read-only attribute
- Wipe disk (cannot be recovered)
- Surface test
- View properties
- Clone disk to migrate data and OS
- Convert MBR disk to GPT
- Delete all partitions
- Cleanup disk
To Unallocated space:
- Create one or more volumes
- Wipe data in it
- Surface test (scan bad sectors)
- View properties (detailed parameters)
Safest partition manager for Windows Server 2012
There is potential system and data damage risk while modify disk partition with unreliable partitioning software, If it happens, you cannot boot Windows and/or lose data if you have no backup. It costs a long time to restore everything and verify data even if you have backup image.
As the safest partition software for Windows Server 2012/2016/2019/2022/2003/2008, NIUBI Partition Editor has innovative technologies to protect your system and data.
1. Virtual mode
It is common if you did something wrong or changed or your mind, so NIUBI Partition Editor is designed to work in its own virtual mode.
All operations you do will be listed as pending and real disk partition won't be changed until you click Apply button to confirm. Before Applying, you can undo or redo the operations without the fear of losing your data or corrupting your hard drive.
If you confirmed and started the changes, other server partition software don't allow canceling the ongoing operations from the beginning or over 50% progress even if you did something wrong.
Because the cancellation causes part of parameters can't be modified, which leads to system boot failure or partition damage. Thanks to the unique Cancel-at-well technology, you can cancel the ongoing operations at any progress with NIUBI Partition Editor. Everything will back to original status in a flash.
Have you experienced power failure or other unexpected error while resizing server disk partitions? In most of cases, the hard drive gets corrupted and you'll lose data in single or entire hard drive. Operating System may be damaged, too, so you have to restore or completely reinstall.
Better than other tools, NIUBI Partition Editor has unique 1 Second Rollback technology which is able to automatically rollback server to original status in a flash. So, if any error is detected while modify disk partition, your server could back online immediately. You don't have to waste a long time to restore from backup.
4. Hot Clone
It has the ability to clone disk partition in Windows without rebooting. So you can clone system disk regularly as backup. When system disk is failed to boot, you can boot from the clone disk immediatly without wasting a long time to restore.
Fastest partition manager for Server 2012 R2
Sometimes when you change the start position of a volume such as moving it, shrink it towards right, or extend it towards left, all files in this volume must be moved to new locations. The more files in the partition, the longer time to finish. A good algorithm is very helpful to reduce time.
Because of the advanced file-moving algorithm, NIUBI Partition Editor is 30% - 300% faster than other software. This is very important to a server especially when such operations require server rebooting to execute.
Other benefits of this server partition manager
Easy to use
You just need to click, drag and drop on the disk map to modify disk partitions, anyone without help or experience of running such kind of software can use this tool well.
The Hot-Resize technology of NIUBI helps you shrink and extend most of partitions without rebooting server. (Note: close the running applications and opening files/folders in the partition that you want to shrink or move before stating NIUBI.
- The pending operations with in front can be done in Windows.
- The ones marked as requires reboot.
Support multiple OS & Storage
This partition manager supports Windows Server 2012, 2016, 2019, 2022 and previous Server 2008, 2003. HDD/SSD with any interface, VMware, Hyper-V, all types of hardware RAID arrays, USB flash drive are all supported.
Create bootable media
You can also create a bootable media using this server partition manager easily. You just need to specify the location where you want your ISO file to be saved. A bootable ISO file of your current Operating System will be created in just a few minutes.