This article introduces how to change partition size on Windows Server 2016 without losing data. Adjust partition size with Disk Management and partition editor software.
Disk partitions are allocated while installing Operating System or by OEM manufacturer. Many server administrators are wondering if it is possible to change partition size without losing data after running the server for a period of time. To adjust partition size on Windows Server 2016, there are 2 options with native Disk Management and third party partitioning software. Disk Management utility is safe but has many limitations, disk partition software is more powerful but has potential data loss risk.
Adjust partition size with Server 2016 Disk Management
In Server 2016 Disk Management, there are built-in Shrink Volume and Extend Volume functionalities to change size of allocated partition. As the name, Shrink Volume is used to decrease partition size and Extend Volume is used to increase partition size. However, not all disk partitions can be shrank and extended.
How to decrease partition size:
- Press Windows and X together on the keyboard and click Disk Management in the list.
- Right click the drive that you want to decrease and select Shrink Volume.
- Enter the amount of space in MB and then click Shrink to execute.
How to increase partition size:
- Right click a partition in Disk Management and select Delete Volume.
- Right click its left contiguous partition and select Extend Volume.
- In Extend Volume Wizard window, simply click Next till Finish.
Limitations to change partition size with Server 2016 Disk Management:
- It can only shrink and extend NTFS partition, other types of partitions are not supported.
- It can only make Unallocated space on the right side while shrinking partition.
- If there's file system error, it cannot shrink partition, if there are unmovable files, it can only shrink little space.
- It can only extend a partition when there's adjacent Unallocated space on the right side.
- The partitions that you want to delete and extend must be the same Primary partition or Logical drive.
Change partition size with safe software
With server partition software, there are no such limitations. However, you'd better back up server first, because there's potential system damage and data loss risk. Better than other tools, NIUBI Partition Editor has powerful technologies to protect system and data:
- Virtual Mode - all operations will be listed as pending for preview, real disk partitions won't be changed until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied incorrect operations, it doesn't matter, you can cancel the ongoing operations without causing damage.
- 1-Second Rollback - if anything goes wrong while resizing partition, it automatically reverts server to original status in a flash. If it happens, your server could back online rapidly without modification.
- It is also 30% to 300% faster because of the advanced file-moving algorithm.
Download NIUBI Partition Editor, you'll see all disk partitions with detailed parameters and graphical structure on the right, available operations to the selected disk or partition are listed on the left side and by right clicking.
How to split and merge partitions
If you want to create more volumes without starting over, you can shrink a large volume to get Unallocated space. If there are too many partitions, you can merge 2 contiguous partitions without losing data via several clicks. All files in a partition will be moved to a folder in the other partition automatically.
Shrink and extend partition
Most of the server administrators want to change partition size of both drive C: and D:, because C drive is getting full but there is plenty of free space in D. Then you can shrink D to get Unallocated space and add into C drive. To do this, you just need to drag and drop on the disk map of NIUBI.
How to change partition size of C and D in Windows Server 2016:
- Right click D: drive and select "Resize/Move Volume", drag left border towards right in the pop-up window. (You may also enter an amount in the box of Unallocated space before)
- Right click C: drive and select Resize/Move Volume again, drag the right border towards the right side to combine Unallocated space.
- Click Apply on top left to execute. (Any operations before this step only work in virtual mode.)
- The steps are similar if you want to increase partition size of D or other data volume.
- If you want to extend C drive with non-adjacent partition E, there's an additional step to move partition D.
- If there's no available free space in a disk, you can copy to a larger one and increase size of partition(s) with additional space.
- If you want to change virtual partition size in VMware or Hyper-V, there's no difference, simply install NIUBI to the virtual server and follow the steps above.
- If you want to change partition size for RAID 0/1/5/10, the steps are exactly the same with resizing physical disk partitions. Do not break array or do other operations to the RAID controller.
Besides shrinking, extending and merging partitions, NIUBI Partition Editor helps move, convert, defrag, hide, wipe partition, set read-only attribute, scan bad sectors and much more.