This article introduces how to increase disk space of system C drive in Windows Server 2019 and how to expand disk size for Server 2019 without losing data.
The same with previous versions, in Windows Server 2019 system partition also runs low on disk space. The entire system disk may be full in a certain time, too. Nobody likes to start from scratch or waste a long time to back up and restore everything. Therefore, you may want to increase disk space of C drive in Windows Server 2019 or expand disk size without losing data. In this article, I'll show you how to do this.
How to increase disk space of system C drive
When system C drive is getting full in Windows Server 2019, firstly check if there's free unused space in other volumes on the same disk. If yes, this problem can be solved easily.
However, there's potential system and data damage risk while resizing disk partitions, because the parameters of associated disk, partition and files must be modified absolutely correct. Therefore, you'd better back up first and run safe partition software.
Better than other tools, NIUBI Partition Editor is much safer and faster because of the advanced technologies:
- Virtual Mode - all operations will be listed as pending for preview, real disk partitions won't be modified until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied wrong operations, it doesn't matter, you can cancel the ongoing operations without causing damage.
- 1 Second Rollback - if encounter any error while resizing partitions, it automatically reverts server to original status in a flash.
- Advanced file-moving algorithm - move and extend partition 30% to 300% faster.
In most cases, there's other data partition(s) on the same disk with plenty of free space. You can shrink this partition with NIUBI Partition Editor, part of free space will be released and changed to be Unallocated. Add this Unallocated space to C drive, then there will be plenty of free space in system partition again. In this way, your Operating System, programs and associated settings, as well as anything else keep the same with before.
How to increase free disk space of system C drive in Windows Server 2019:
- Download NIUBI Partition Editor, right click drive D (the contiguous partition on the right) and select "Resize/Move Volume". In the pop-up window, drag left border towards right or enter an amount in the box of Unallocated space before. Then part of free space in drive D will be changed to Unallocated on the left side.
- Right click C: drive and select "Resize/Move Volume" again, drag right border towards right to merge this Unallocated space, then C drive will be extended.
- Click Apply on top left to execute, done.
- If you want to take free space from nonadjacent partition, there's an additional step to move Unallocated space before adding to C drive. Follow the steps in the video.
- NIUBI is designed to work in virtual mode first, real disk partitions won't be changed until click Apply to confirm. If you did something wrong, simply click Undo to cancel.
- When there's available free space on the same disk, there's no difference to increase disk space for system C drive, no matter you use physical disk for local server, any types of hardware RAID with any raid controller, or run Server 2019 as guest virtual machine in VMware/Hyper-V.
How to increase disk size in Windows Server 2019
If the entire system disk is getting full, no software can add space to C drive from another separated disk. In that case, there are several options, select the corresponding method according to your own disk partition configuration.
To single physical hard disk (HDD or SSD):
The size of a physical disk is fixed, a 500GB disk can't be decreased to 400GB or increased to 600GB. When it's getting full, follow the steps to copy disk to another larger one. When copying disk, additional space can be added to C drive and other partitions.
To hardware raid 1:
RAID 1 is built with 2 hard disks with same size, you cannot increase raid 1 array by replacing with larger disks one by one. If you do like that, you'll get another raid 1 with same size. You won't see the remaining space in Disk Management or any partitioning software. The remaining space will be wasted or used to create another separated raid array.
You need to build another raid 1 with larger disks, and then copy from original raid 1 to the new one. If you cannot connect 2 raid 1 to the server at the same, follow the steps:
- Insert a single hard disk to this server.
- Copy original raid 1 to this disk (there's no difference to copy between raid array and single disk).
- Change BIOS settings and boot from the single hard disk.
- Build a new raid 1 and copy from this disk.
- Boot from the new raid 1.
To hardware raid 5 and other:
About hardware RAID 5 and any other types of raid array, when it is full, firstly check if your raid controller can expand raid array by replacing with larger disks without losing data. If yes, follow the instructions in the manual or ask help from your raid card/controller manufacturer.
After replacing disk and rebuilding raid array, additional disk space will be shown as Unallocated on the end. Then follow the steps to move and merge Unallocated space to other partition(s).
How to expand disk size for Server 2019 vm
When a virtual disk is getting full, it is very easy to solve this problem. You can expand virtual disk size without copying to other device. Follow the steps below:
After expanding virtual disk, additional space will be shown as Unallocated on the end, then follow the steps to add Unallocated space to C drive (and other volumes).
Besides shrinking, extending, copying and moving disk partitions, NIUBI Partition Editor helps do many other disk partition management operations.