When system partition C is running out of space, many people ask if it's possible to merge C and D drive in Windows 11 computer. If it is, free space in D drive will be combined to C drive. Of course you can merge 2 partitions in Windows 11 laptop/desktop/tablet without losing data. In this article, I'll introduce how to combine partitions with Windows 11 Disk Management and third party free software. If you want to merge 2 adjacent volumes, it's easier. If you want to merge non adjacent partitions, only third party software can help you.
How to merge Windows 11 partitions without software
When you right click a partition in Windows native Disk Management tool, there's no "Merge Volume" option. The combination is realized with another Extend Volume function. Because this function has many limitations, you'll encounter problem while merging partitions in Windows 11 using Disk Management. I'll talk about the limitations in next section. Firstly, let's see how to operate.
Steps to merge partitions in Windows 11 Disk Management tool:
- Press Windows + X keys together, click Disk Management in the list.
- Right click D: drive and select Delete Volume.
- Right click C: drive and select Extend Volume.
- Follow up the pop-up Extend Volume Wizard.
It is easy to combine 2 partitions with Windows 11 Disk Management, but as I said above, there are many limitations.
Limitations to combine partitions with Windows 11 native tool
- It can only merge the right partition into the left one. For example, merge E to D drive, or merge D to C drive.
- You must delete the right partition to get adjacent Unallocated space.
- The 2 partitions must be the same Primary or Logical drive.
- The target partition must be formatted with NTFS file system.
- It cannot merge non adjacent partitions.
If you want to merge C and D drive with Windows 11 Disk Management, because C drive is Primary and NTFS, D drive must be Primary, too. Firstly, you must transfer all files and delete D drive to get Unallocated space.
Caution: do not delete D drive if you installed programs in it. Otherwise, the programs won't work even if you moved all files to other place.
Better way to merge 2 partitions in Windows 11 with free software
To merge partitions in Windows 11 laptop/desktop/tablet, third party partition software is better choice. Better than other tools, NIUBI Partition Editor has Virtual Mode, Cancel-at-well and 1-Second Rollback technologies to protect system and data. It has free edition for Windows 11/10/8/7/Vista/XP home users.
Download the free edition, you'll see all partitions in a list with detailed information and all disks with partition layout. Right click each disk and partition, you'll see available operations.
How to merge adjacent partitions in Windows 11 with NIUBI (C and D):
- Right click C: or D: drive and select Merge Volume.
- Click the check boxes in front of both partitions.
- Click Apply on top left to take effect.
*All files in D drive will be moved to a folder in root directory of C drive automatically.
How to merge nonadjacent partitions in Windows 11 (such as C and E):
- Right click E: and select Delete Volume (transfer files in advance).
- Right click the middle partition D and select Resize/Move Volume, drag the middle block towards right in the pop-up window.
- Right click C: drive and run Resize/Move Volume again, drag the right border towards right to merge Unallocated space.
- Click Apply to execute.
Watch the video how to merge partitions in Windows 11 computer:
Besides merging partitions in Windows 11/10/8/7/Vista/XP computer, NIUBI Partition Editor helps you do many other disk partition management operations such as shrink, extend, move, convert, defrag, hide, wipe, scan bad sectors.