2 ways to change partition size in Windows Server 2008
Besides creating, deleting and formatting partition, you can change partition size in Windows Server 2008 with its built-in Shrink Volume and Extend Volume functionalities. With Shrink Volume, you can decrease a partition to release free space. Free space will be converted to Unallocated automatically, which can be used to create new volumes. Extend Volume can increase partition size when there is adjacent Unallocated space on the right side.
Comparing to previous Server 2003, it is a great improvement in Server 2008. However, both functionalities have many limitations, so you still need third party software to repartition drive in many situations. In this article, I’ll introduce how to change partition size in Windows Server 2008 R2 with both native Disk Management and 3rd-party server partition software.
Change partition size in Server 2008 DM
How to decrease partition size:
1. Click Sever Manager on bottom left of the screen to open Disk Management.
2. Right click the partition you want to shrink and click Shrink Volume.
3. Enter the amount of space to shrink (1024MB=1GB) and click Shrink to begin.
Limitation of Shrink Volume:
- You can only shrink a drive towards the left, that means, the Unallocated space can only be generated on the right side of this drive.
- Only NTFS and RAW partition are supported, FAT32 and other types of partitions cannot be shrank.
- Sometimes if there are some unmovable files in this drive, you can only shrink little space. (These files are unmovable to Disk Management, but they are movable to partition software)
How to increase partition size:
Open Disk Management, right click the volume and select Extend Volume.
- Click Next in pop-up Extend Volume Wizard window.
- Available disk and space has been select by default, simply click Next to continue.
- Click Finish in the Extend Volume Wizard window to confirm extending.
Limitation of Extend Volume:
1. To increase partition size with Extend Volume, there must be adjacent Unallocated space on the right side. As you see in the screenshot above, Extend Volume is greyed out when right click drive C and E.
2. Only NTFS and RAW partitions are supported, FAT32 and other types of partition cannot be extended.
3. Adjacent Free space that deleted from a Logical partition cannot be added to a Primary partition, except that you delete this Free space as well as the entire Extended partition.
Better way to change partition size with software
As you see, the native Disk Management in Windows Server 2008 is restricted to change partition, to do this, partition software is the best choice.
NIUBI Partition Editor Server can shrink both NTFS and FAT32 partitions and generate Unallocated space on either side, it can move all files in a drive, so you can decrease this drive to minimum size. When increasing size of a drive, Unallocated space on either side, or free space inside of any volume in the same disk can be used, both NTFS and FAT32 volumes are supported, too.
How to shrink drive with NIUBI:Download NIUBI Partition Editor, right click a drive such as D and select Resize/Move Volume.
In the pop-up window, drag either left or right border towards the other side.
If you drag left border rightwards, Unallocated space will be generated on the left side.
How to extend drive with NIUBI:
Better than Windows Disk Management, Unallocated space can be added to either adjacent volume by 1 step with NIUBI Partition Editor.
Right click either adjacent drive and select Resize/Move Volume, if you want to increase C drive space, drag the right border rightwards in the pop-up window.
Unallocated space is added to C drive
If you want to get free space from nonadjacent volume, you just nee 1 more step to move partition. Watch the video how to change partition size on Server 2008:
To change partition size in Windows Server 2008 (R2), Windows native Disk Management can help in some situation, but due to the limitations, you still need partition software in most configurations. Equipped with unique 1 Second Rollback technology, NIUBI Partition Editor is the only one partition software that can ensure 100% system and data intact while resizing and moving disk partitions.