This article introduces how to extend system partition in Windows Server 2019, 3 ways to extend system volume on Server 2019 without losing data.
The same with previous versions, Low disk space is also common issue in Windows Server 2019. After running the server for a period of time, system partition C is running out of space. In that case, you'd better try to fix this issue as fast as possible, because it may cause server stuck or reboot expectedly.
If you contact server OEM manufacturer, they may tell you to back up everything, delete and recreate partitions, finally restore from backup. It is indeed a solution, but it may cost a whole day, during this process, the server is offline. Obviously, it is much faster to extend system partition for this server. In this article, I'll show you 3 ways to extend system volume on Windows Server 2019 with detailed steps.
Extend Server 2019 system partition without any software
Actually, this is not a good method, it is only an option if you don't want to use third party software.
Windows Server 2019 has 2 native tools to help resize disk partition - Disk Management and diskpart. Disk Management has Extend Volume Wizard with graphical interface, diskpart works via command prompt. They works in different way, but they has same restrictions. No matter which tool you use to extend os partition, your disk partition structure must meet the requirements:
- There's another partition on the right of C drive and on the same disk.
- You must delete this partition to get contiguous Unallocated space. (Caution: don't do this if you installed programs or any Windows services in this partition.)
If there is no or you cannot delete the right contiguous partition, neither Disk Management nor diskpart can help you extend system drive. When extending a data partition, there are additional restrictions, learn why Extend Volume greyed out.
Steps to extend system partition/volume in Windows Server 2019 Disk Management console:
- Right click Windows icon on bottom left and click Disk Management in the list.
- Right click the contiguous partition (D: in most cases) and select Delete Volume, then its disk space will be changed to Unallocated.
- Right click system C: drive and select Extend Volume.
- Click Next till Finish the pop-up Extend Volume Wizard dialog boxes.
If you like to use command prompt tool, refer how to extend partition with diskpart in Windows Server 2019.
Partition editor to extend system volume in Windows Server 2019
If there's no right contiguous partition or you don't want to delete it, you have to run disk partition software. Remember: make a backup first and run safe partition software, because there's potential system damage and data loss risk while shrinking and extending partitions.
Better than other disk partition tools, NIUBI Partition Editor is much safer and faster because of the advanced technologies:
- Virtual Mode - all operations will be listed as pending for preview, real disk partitions won't be modified until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied wrong operations, it doesn't matter, you can cancel the ongoing operations without causing damage.
- 1 Second Rollback - if encounter any error while resizing partitions, it automatically reverts server to original status in a flash.
- Advanced file-moving algorithm - move and extend partition 30% to 300% faster.
Then how to extend system partition for Server 2019? There are 2 options, follow corresponding method according to your own disk partition structure.
Option 1: extend system partition by shrinking data volume
In most of servers, there's at least one data volume on the same system disk, then you can extend system drive by taking free space from the data partition(s).
Steps to expand system partition in Windows Server 2019 with NIUBI:
- Download NIUBI Partition Editor, right click drive D and select "Resize/Move Volume". In the pop-up window, drag left border towards right or enter an amount in the box of Unallocated space before. Then drive D will be shrunk and Unallocated space will be generated on its left side.
- Right click drive C and select "Resize/Move Volume" again, drag right border towards right to merge this Unallocated space, then C drive will be extended.
- Click Apply on top left to execute, done.
Option 2: extend system partition with another disk
If few servers, there's no other partition or not enough free space on the same disk. In that case, no software can extend system volume by taking free or Unallocated space from another separated disk. But, you can copy this disk to another larger one, then additional disk space can be added into C drive (and other partitions).
Follow the steps in the video to expand OS partition in Windows Server 2019 with another disk:
If you use any types of hardware RAID array with any brand of controller, there's no difference, simply follow either method above.
Extend system drive in VMware/Hyper-V virtual machine
If you run Windows Server 2019 as virtual machine in VMware or Hyper-V, follow the steps in the first video above when there's available free space on the same disk. If there's unavailable free space on a disk, you can extend system partition for virtual machine without copying to other disk. Follow the steps below to expand virtual disk:
After expanding disk, additional space is shown as Unallocated on the end. Follow the steps to move and merge Unallocated space to other volume(s).
Besides shrinking, extending, moving partition and copying disk, NIUBI Partition Editor helps you do many other disk partition operations.