Low disk space of C drive is common issue in Windows Server 2016. It can't be better if you can increase C drive free space without wasting a long time to recreate partitions and restore everything. This article introduces detailed steps to increase C drive space in Windows 2016 server with Windows native tool and safest partition software. Follow the steps of corresponding method according to your own disk partition configuration.
1. How to increase C drive space without software
The same with previous version, Server 2016 built-in Disk Management tool has Shrink Volume and Extend Volume functions to help resize partition without losing data. However, you cannot increase C drive space by decreasing D or other partition, learn why. The only way is deleting D and merge its disk space to C drive.
Even if you can delete D drive, your disk partition structure must meet the requirements below:
- D must be on the right of C drive and on the same disk.
- There's a third partition to save all files in D drive before deleting.
- D must be a Primary partition. (The same with system C drive)
Steps to increase C: drive space with Server 2016 Disk Management:
- Transfer all files in drive D to other partition. (D drive means the partition next to C drive)
- Press Windows and X together on the keyboard and click Disk Management from the list.
- Right click D: and select Delete Volume, then its disk space will be converted to Unallocated.
- Right click C: drive and select Extend Volume, follow up the pop-up Extend Volume Wizard.
Obviously, it is not good to increase partition size like that. To increase C drive space in Windows 2016 server, it is better to shrink other data volume, so you won't lose any partition. Operating System, programs and anything else keep the same with before (except partition size).
2. How to increase C drive size by shrinking D or other volume
While resizing server partition, there is potential system and data damage risk, because all parameters of associated disk, partition and files must be modified correctly, files in some partition must be moved to new locations. Any slight error could cause system boot failure and data loss.
Better than other tools, NIUBI Partition Editor has powerful technologies to protect your system and data:
- Virtual Mode - all operations will be listed as pending for preview, real disk partitions won't be changed until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied incorrect operations, it doesn't matter, you can cancel the ongoing operations without causing damage.
- 1-Second Rollback - if anything goes wrong while resizing partition, it automatically reverts server to original status in a flash. If it happens, your server could back online rapidly without modification.
- 30% to 300% faster because of the advanced file-moving algorithm, it is helpful if there are large amount of files in your server.
Before starting, check if there's enough free space in other data volume on the same disk, if yes, follow the steps below.
How to increase C drive space in Windows Server 2016 with NIUBI Partition Editor:
- Download the server edition, right click D: drive and select "Resize/Move Volume", enter an amount of space in the box of Unallocated space before, or drag left border towards right in the pop-up window. Then there will be Unallocated space made on the left.
- Right click C: drive and select Resize/Move Volume again, drag the right border towards right to combine this Unallocated space.
- Click Apply on top left to execute. (Any operations before this step only work in virtual mode.)
If you want to increase C drive space by shrinking nonadjacent partition E, there's an additional step to move partition D towards right.
3. How to increase system C drive with another disk
If there's no other data partition or not enough free space on the same disk, the method above is invalid. No software can add space to C drive from a separate disk, because the size of a physical disk is fixed. Don't worry, there are still 2 ways to increase C drive space for your Windows 2016 server.
① If there's no other partition on the system disk, you need to copy this disk to a larger one, and then expand C drive with additional disk space, follow the steps in the video:
② If there's data partition on the same disk but has not enough free space, besides copying entire disk to a larger one, you may move this data partition to another disk, then delete it and add its space to C drive.
4. How to increase C drive space in VMware/Hyper-V/RAID
If you want to increase C drive space in Windows Server 2016 with RAID 1/5/6/10 (any type and any brand), do not break raid array, simply follow the methods above. If you run Windows Server 2016 as virtual machine in VMware/Hyper-V, just install NIUBI to the virtual server.
Better than physical disk, virtual disk in VMware and Hyper-V can be extended without losing data, so it's much easier to solve this problem. If there's no available free space on the same disk, follow the steps to expand virtual disk in VMware or Hyper-V. Additional space will be shown as Unallocated at the end, follow the steps to move and merge Unallocated space to C drive.
To increase C drive space in Windows Server 2016/2019 and previous Server 2003/2008/2012, native Disk Management can do little help. You'd better back up and run reliable partition software. As the safest tool, NIUBI Partition Editor helps increase C drive free space for Server 2016 without losing data, no matter how your disk partition is configured. It also helps do many other disk and partition management operations.