Resize disk partition on Windows Server 2016
Resize partition means change the size of allocated disk partition, of course without reinstalling Windows OS. To resize partition on Windows Server 2016, there are 2 options: native Disk Management and third party partitioning software. Disk Management snap-in is safe but has many limitations, 3rd-party software is much more powerful but it may cause system and/or data damage.
Resize partition with Disk Management
To resize partition drive on Server 2016, Microsoft provides Shrink and Extend Volume functionalities in native Disk Management. Shrink Volume is used to decrease size a partition and Extend Volume is used to increase partition size, both can be done on the fly. However, not all disk partitions can be resized.
How to decrease size of a partition:
- Press and on keyboard and then click Disk Management.
- Right click the drive that you want to decrease and select Shrink Volume.
- Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB (1024MB=1GB) and then click Shrink to execute.
Shrink Extend can only resize partition and produce Unallocated space on the right side.
How to increase size of partition:
- Open Disk Management.
- Right click the partition with adjacent Unallocated space and select Extend Volume.
- In Extend Volume Wizard window, click Next till Finish.
Scenarios cannot resize partition in DM
As I said above, not all partitions can be resized in Server 2016 Disk Management.
When you decreasing partition size with Shrink Volume, if you use maximum available space when you entering amount of space to shrink, you are very likely to receive error message “There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation.”
If there are unmovable files in the partition that you are shrinking, you can only shrink little space.
When you resizing partition in Server 2016 with Extend Volume, it only works when there is adjacent Unallocated space on the right side of the partition that you are extending, otherwise, Extend Volume is Greyed out. In other words, all other disk partitions cannot be extended.
Both Shrink and Extend Volume support NTFS partition only, that means you cannot resize FAT32 and other types of partitions.
Resize disk partition with 3rd-party software
To resize partition on Windows Server 2016, third party partition software is better choice, but you’d better use the safe tool, otherwise, there is potential system and data damage risk.
Comparing with Windows native Disk Management, NIUBI Partition Editor has many advantages, for example:
- Both NTFS and FAT32 partitions can be resized.
- Much easier, you just need to drag and drop on the disk map.
- When shrinking a partition, Unallocated space can be produced on either side. Furthermore, you can resize a partition to minimum size because NIUBI can move the “unmovable” files.
- NIUBI can extend a partition with Unallocated space on either side.
- NIUBI can shrink any other partitions in the same disk and move Unallocated space to adjacent.
Many people want to resize partition D and C, so here I’ll show you how to shrink D and extend C, it is similar to resize other partitions.
Download NIUBI Partition Editor and you’ll see all connected hard disks, all separate partitions and graphical partition layout in a disk. Available operations to the highlighted partition or disk are displayed on the left side or by right clicking. Unavailable operations to this device are hidden automatically.
How to resize partition on Server 2016 with NIUBI:
Right click drive D and select “Resize/Move Volume“. Drag the left border rightwards in the pop-up window.
Partition D is shrank and 20GB Unallocated is produced on the left side. If you drag the right border leftwards, Unallocated space will be produced on the right side.
When there is adjacent Unallocated space on either side, you can resize partition C to larger size.
Right click drive C and select “Resize/Move Volume” again. Drag the right border rightwards to combine the Unallocated space on the right side.
Click OK, partition C is resized to 50GB.
NIUBI Partition Editor is designed to work in virtual mode, the operations you do will be listed as pending on bottom left for preview. You can click Undo to cancel the unwanted operations, or click Apply to confirm and start resizing real disk partitions.
Watch the video how to resize disk partition on Windows Server 2016.
Resize Server 2016 partition with safe tool
To a server, data safety and keeping online are most important, so the first and most important thing to resize partition on Windows Server 2016 is running safe partition software. Comparing with other tools, NIUBI Partition Editor has unique technologies and benefits such as:
- It is integrated with innovative 1 Second Rollback technology to ensure system and data intact. It automatically reverts the server to original status if anything goes wrong, in that case, server could back online without damage in a short time.
- Hot-Resize technology helps resize partition on the fly. (Close the running programs and files/folders in the partition that you want to shrink before starting NIUBI.)
- Unique file-moving algorithm helps resize disk partition 30% to 300% faster.
- Working in Virtual mode and real disk partition won’t be modified until you click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-will technology allows you cancelling the ongoing operations without losing data, so you won’t lose control during the whole process.