This article introduces how to repartition hard drive in Windows 10 (32 & 64 bit) without losing data. Repartition hard disk volume by drag and drop.
After running the Windows 10 laptop or desktop for a period of time, system partition C or other data volume may runs out of space. Many people wonder if it is possible to repartition hard disk drives without reinstalling Windows and programs. In this article, I'll show you how to repartition hard drive in Windows 10 with built-in utility and third party partitioning software.
Repartition hard drive without software
Windows 10 has built-in Disk Management utility, with which you can create, delete, format, set Active partition and change drive letter. In addition, you can re-size partition with its advanced Shrink and Extend Volume function. If you just want to decrease a large volume to create new, or delete an allocated partition to extend the left contiguous one, you can accomplish without third party software.
If you want to extend a volume by shrinking other one, Disk Management cannot help you because of its restrictions:
- Shrink Volume can only shrink a partition towards left and make Unallocated space on the right side.
- Extend Volume only works when there is adjacent Unallocated space on the right side.
- Both functions support NTFS partition only, FAT32 and any other types are not supported.
To repartition hard drive on Windows 10, professional partition software is better choice.
Repartition hard drive inside a disk
Comparing with Windows 10 Disk Management, NIUBI Partition Editor has advantages such as:
- Support resizing both NTFS and FAT32 partition.
- Unallocated space can be made on either side when shrinking a partition.
- Unallocated space can be combined to any contiguous partition by 1 step of dragging.
- Unallocated space can be moved and combined to any nonadjacent partition.
Thus, Unallocated or unused space can be transferred inside a hard disk. Besides resizing hard drive partition, it helps merge, copy, convert, defrag, wipe, hide and scan partition, etc.
Take care of system and data
Many people focus on the amount of functions or interface of a partitioning software, few people pay attention to data protection ability. Actually, there is data loss and system damage risk while repartitioning hard disk drives. It is important to back up and select a safe partition tool.
Better than tools, NIUBI Partition Editor has unique and powerful technologies to protect system and data:
- 1 Second Rollback - automatically reverts computer to original status in a flash if encounter any error while resizing.
- Virtual Mode - the operations will be listed as pending for preview and real disk won't be repartitioned until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you did something wrong but the operations are ongoing, you can cancel them without causing damage to disk.
How to repartition Windows 10 computer with NIUBI
In most of the computers, system C drive has highest probability running out of space, and there is other adjacent drive such as D. Here I'll show you how to repartition both C and D drive.
Download NIUBI Partition Editor and you'll see the disk partition with structure and other information. C is 30GB and D is 50GB.
Step 1: Right click drive D: and select "Resize/Move Volume", drag left border towards right in the pop-up window (or enter an amount directly 1024MB=1GB).
Step 2: Right click drive C: and select "Resize/Move Volume" again, drag right border towards right to combine this Unallocated space.
If you want to repartition drive D and E, or C and E, follow this guide.
Repartition hard drive with other disk
Right click a partition and run "Resize/Move Volume", drag the border towards other side, then you can shrink this partition or extend it with adjacent Unallocated space. Drag the middle position towards other side, then you can move partition and Unallocated space.
By this method, you can repartition hard drives in the same disk. But if you want to extend a partition by shrinking other partition in another separated disk, the method is invalid and no software can do. Because hard disk is physical unit and its size is fixed. A 500GB disk can't be decreased to 250GB or increased to 1TB.
If there is no or not plenty of unused space in all other partitions of the same disk, you can copy to a larger disk and repartition drives with extra disk.
Besides repartition disk drives, NIUBI Partition Editor helps you merge, copy, convert, defrag, hide, wipe partition, scan bad sectors, etc.