This article introduces how to extend C drive in Windows Server 2019 without losing data, detailed steps to extend system partition C for Server 2019.
When system C: drive is running out of space, you can increase its partition size without reinstalling Operating System and applications. When there is free unused space in other partition on the same disk, you can add these space to expand C drive. This article introduces how to extend C drive partition in Windows Server 2019 without losing data.
Use right tool to extend system partition for Server 2019
Windows Server 2019 native Disk Management utility has built-in Shrink Volume and Extend Volume functionalities to help re-size allocated partition. However, this native tool cannot extend C drive by shrinking D or other drives. Unallocated space that shrunk from D is nonadjacent to C drive, so Extend Volume is greyed out when you right click C drive.
You can get adjacent Unallocated space by deleting drive D to enable Extend Volume for C drive, but in most of servers, programs and some Windows services are installed to this partition, so you cannot delete it. In addition, under some particular environment, you still cannot extend C drive after deleting D.
Two points you should know before extending system partition in Server 2019:
- There must be Unallocated or free unused space on the same disk.
- There is system damage and data loss risk when you resizing partitions with unreliable software.
Disk partition software is called as data killer by the people that experienced such disaster. Many people don't know about this risk.
Why there is such kind of risk? To be short, all parameters of associated disk, partition and files must be modified correctly when resizing disk partition. Some software internal error and hardware issue such as power failure could cause part of the parameters failed to be modified. If it happens, system and/or data will be damaged. So besides backing up the server, it is also very important to select a safe partition software, otherwise, it costs a long time to restore everything. In addition, server is offline during this period.
Better than other disk partition tools, NIUBI Partition Editor is much safer and faster because of the advanced technologies:
- Virtual Mode - all operations will be listed as pending for preview, real disk partitions won't be modified until click Apply to confirm.
- Cancel-at-well - if you applied wrong operations, it doesn't matter, you can cancel the ongoing operations without causing damage.
- 1 Second Rollback - if encounter any error while resizing partitions, it automatically reverts server to original status in a flash.
- Advanced file-moving algorithm - move and extend partition 30% to 300% faster.
How to extend C drive by shrinking D or other partition
In most of servers, there's free unused space in other data partition(s) on the same disk, you can shrink the one with plenty of free space, then part of free space will be changed to Unallocated and all files keep intact. Finally add Unallocated space to C drive, then there will be more free space in C drive again. In this way, Operating System, programs and anything else keep the same with before. To accomplish this task, you just need to drag and drop on the disk map.
Download NIUBI Partition Editor and you'll see the main window with disk partition structure and other information on the right. Available operations to selected disk or partition are listed on the left and by right clicking. Unavailable operations are hidden automatically to keep interface clean.
Steps to extend C: drive partition in Windows Server 2019:
- Right click the contiguous partition on the right (D: in most cases) and select "Resize/Move Volume". In the pop-up window, you may either drag left border towards right or enter an amount in the box of Unallocated space before. Then drive D will be shrunk and some Unallocated is generated on the left side.
- Right click system C: drive and select "Resize/Move Volume" again, drag right border towards right to merge this Unallocated space, then C drive will be extended.
- Click Apply on top left to execute, done.
- If your right contiguous partition is E, simply replace D with E in the steps above.
- If you want to shrink nonadjacent partition, there's an additional step to move Unallocated space before adding to C drive. (Method is shown in the video above).
- NIUBI is designed to work in virtual mode first, real disk partitions won't be changed until click Apply to confirm. If you did anything wrong, simply click Undo to cancel.
- The pending operations that are marked as can be done in Windows, the one marked as requires rebooting to accomplish.
- When there's available free space on the same disk, there's no difference to expand system C drive, no matter you use physical disk, any types of hardware RAID with any raid controller, or run Server 2019 as guest virtual machine in VMware/Hyper-V.
How to extend C drive partition with another disk
As I said above, there must be available free space on the same disk, then what to do if the system disk is almost full? In that case, no software can expand C drive by taking free space from another different/separated disk. However, you can solve this problem by copying disk to a larger one. Follow the steps in the video to extend C drive partition in Windows Server 2019 by copying:
As you see, additional space can be added to C drive and other partitions. Note: you should start from the last one to move and extend partition.
Expand C drive volume for Server 2019 in VMware/Hyper-V
If you run Windows Server 2019 as guest virtual machine in VMware, Hyper-V, Virtualbox or other tool, there's no difference when there's available free space on the same virtual disk. You just need to install NIUBI Partition Editor to the virtual machine and follow the steps in the first video above.
If the virtual system disk is almost full, you can expand it with VMware or Hyper-V. After expanding disk, additional space is shown as Unallocated on the end.
- How to expand virtual disk size in VMware
- How to expand virtual disk size in Hyper-V
- How to move and add Unallocated space to C drive
To extend system partition C in Windows Server 2019, firstly check your disk partition structure and configuration, then follow the corresponding method above. Remember to make a backup and run safe partition software. Because of the advanced data protection technologies, NIUBI Partition Editor is the best choice to accomplish this task. Besides shrinking and extending partition, it helps do many other operations for your server.